'96 Challenger... Wierd Starting Sequence!?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentac

Everything has been fine for years. Went to start the other day, put key on and got the single "error" beep...and obviously couldn't get it to engage the starter. I'm pretty sure that the DESS key was working or I guess I wouldn't have gotten the error beep.
Now, for the weird part:
I take the key off, press the start button (as if I'm checking the fuel gauge).
Fuel gauge and light come on.
Put the key back on...get the double "ok" beep and it turns right over.
When I stop it, I have to go through the same thing again!
Anybody have an idea what the heck is going on with this thing? :)

The fuel gauge and light coming on with the DESS key removed and the start stop button pressed is normal I believe that is supposed to give you 30 seconds of power that way. Could be low battery voltage, neutral switch going bad maybe?

Mine did that after the wife had the boat out and left the fishfinder and backlight on, took the DESS key off when it single beeped and put it back on and it cranked and started. I chalked it up to the MPEM sensing low voltage and needing reset.

Ahhh...
Did you do something to reset "something" or are you just referring to taking the key off and putting it back on? I guess I'm asking if there was a System Reset with the MPEM or something. I have to repeat this [key off/press start/key on/press start] sequence every time now. Battery is just about brand new and does have a full charge. Does your's work normal again now?

The fuel gauge and light coming on with the DESS key removed and the start stop button pressed is normal I believe that is supposed to give you 30 seconds of power that way. Could be low battery voltage, neutral switch going bad maybe?

Mine did that after the wife had the boat out and left the fishfinder and backlight on, took the DESS key off when it single beeped and put it back on and it cranked and started. I chalked it up to the MPEM sensing low voltage and needing reset.

I just tried mine again, with the dess key having been left in place since the last start and stop this morning it beeped once at me and the start stop switch does nothing to crank the motor. Remove and replace the DESS and it beeps twice and everything works fine. My guess, there's a programmed coil in my DESS that's seen better days and I'm going to drop by the dealer and get a new one programmed.

I think we are on the same page with this one... Think I'm going to do the same thing. Thanks and good luck!

Although...now that I think about it...if I left my Dess on for a few minutes (while everything was working normal) and tried to start, the same thing would happen that happened to you. Not sure if it's the same problem. If I take my Dess off and then put it back on...I get the one warning beep with no start. Then, if I disconnect the Dess and hit the start switch...THEN put the Dess back on, it will give me the double churp and everything is fine. Something is happening when I take the Dess switch off. For some reason, I need to press the start button without the Dess before putting the Dess on to start. It's like something is being reset...??? Puzzling! Maybe I should call the dealer and ask if that is a problem that they have seen with the Dess key, and maybe needs to be reprogrammed...???

This is normal behavior. If the Dess key is left on for more than 5 minutes without the engine running, you have to remove the dess key. This resets the sequence. If you kill your engine by pressing the dess key, you can then restart the engine within 5 minutes by just pressing the start button. If you wait longer than that, you have to remove the key and reset it.

This is normal behavior. If the Dess key is left on for more than 5 minutes without the engine running, you have to remove the dess key. This resets the sequence. If you kill your engine by pressing the dess key, you can then restart the engine within 5 minutes by just pressing the start button. If you wait longer than that, you have to remove the key and reset it.
And this is why you guys are always welcome for a cold beer at my place, who knew? :) Thanks for the information, I think I might just go and get another key made anyways to have a spare. Be my luck the dog's use it for a chew toy right before we have plans to take the boat somewhere.

Very true. Mine situation is somewhat different though and just popped up after 10 years. If I put the Dess key on (from being disconnected for a good while) I now get the single error beep...not the double churp that I used to get. However; if I press the start button without the key attached THEN put the Dess on...it works fine. For some reason, all of a sudden, I have to press the start key without the Dess attached prior to putting the Dess key on and getting the double churp. Weird!:banghead:

Very true. Mine situation is somewhat different though and just popped up after 10 years. If I put the Dess key on (from being disconnected for a good while) I now get the single error beep...not the double churp that I used to get. However; if I press the start button without the key attached THEN put the Dess on...it works fine. For some reason, all of a sudden, I have to press the start key without the Dess attached prior to putting the Dess key on and getting the double churp. Weird!:banghead:

Suggestion, clean up every ground path and connection you can find in that boat before doing anything else. Resistance path to ground on existing connections is the one thing that will change over time, when nothing else is or has been changed simply due to increased resistance from age and corrosion.

Does it do this every time, even when you kill the engine with by pressing the Dess switch. Do you then have to take it off and press the button and then replace the Dess cap, even if it has only been seconds since killing the engine?

I think some of these must operate differently, I almost never remove the DESS key from my DESS post during the day and when I do it's not b/c the engine won't restart. To reawaken the MPEM I only need to lightly press on the DESS cap which gives me two short beeps indicating the engine is ready to start.

I guess what I'm saying is not all of them operate the same way.

I do know the magnetic switch inside the DESS post can corrode over time and stop working reliably.

I think some of these must operate differently, I almost never remove the DESS key from my DESS post during the day and when I do it's not b/c the engine won't restart. To reawaken the MPEM I only need to lightly press on the DESS cap which gives me two short beeps indicating the engine is ready to start.

I guess what I'm saying is not all of them operate the same way.

I do know the magnetic switch inside the DESS post can corrode over time and stop working reliably.

Well you are right again. I had never tried pushing my cap when I got the 1 beep. I just removed the cap and reset it. But I just tried in. And you are correct. As soon as I pushed down it reset. Never thought to try that since there is no spring in the switch that would make you think it would reset if pushed. But it does. Not sure why it resets, since it is already making a connection.

Does it do this every time, even when you kill the engine with by pressing the Dess switch. Do you then have to take it off and press the button and then replace the Dess cap, even if it has only been seconds since killing the engine?

Yep...every time now. Something has changed. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back