96 Challenger Pump Cone Help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

Please see my other post regarding my test run results.

Long story short, I am getting an intermittant loud/rattle vibration noise in and out of the water while at idle.

I removed the pump and changed all the bearings yesterday and the problem is still there. While I had it apart, I noticed my cone does not have any springs, wedges, pusher, etc.

It just has a plastic post formed in the center of the housing. The 96 service manual shows that there should be a tensioner. But the 96 parts catalog doesn't show them.

It also looks like the design changed in 97. That parts catalog shows a different cone part number, plus lists a pusher and a spring.

Maybe this is where the problem is. Any thoughts?

I am thinking of retrofitting the 97 design as of now. I have heard the later model doos are quieter. Any other suggestions on a compatible cone?

ditto

Make sure you have the rubber stoppers on each end of the drive shaft and get an anti rattle cone. These things work. Mine had noise that sounded like rod knock at idle in the water and out. With new rubber stopers and anti rattle cone... noise all gone.

Thanks for the info guys. I prefer the stock design so I ordered the 97 parts to do a retrofit. I will let you know how it works out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back