96 Challenger - need opinions on options for Bimini top

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trexbob

Hi,
I'm really hoping someone on here can help!!

After two years or so of tinkering with everything in my boat, I have nearly got my 96 Challenger to where I want it (running semi-reliably and looking nice!). I am now looking to get a bimini for it. It has pretty obviously had one at some point in it's life, so I wanted to ask advice on what it might have had and/or what I can put on there using the existing mounts. I'd prefer not to drill new holes in it if possible.

Here is the setup of attachment points right now:
In the front (next to the spotter seat), there is a stainless steel strap eye on each side. About 30" to the rear, down near near the bump rail (?) there are two screws that may have had another attachment at some point, but there are just screws there now. About 24" to the rear of those screws, or 52-54" to the rear of the front strap eyes, sort of by the corner of the arm-rest/seatback are two mounts for a bimini. These are angled in slightly towards the rear of the boat, however. See the pics below for further clarification.

So my question is, can I throw any old bimini on there? There doesn't appear to be anywhere to put rear straps, which most biminis have from what I can tell...

20150715_204221_zpsmzdxweuj.jpg

20150715_204230_zpsrpjozhis.jpg

20150715_204235_zpsso1ipefs.jpg

20150715_204221_zpsmzdxweuj.jpg

Hummmmmmmmm........................................

Well... since someone mounted the top to the sides of the hull... I'm going to say that wasn't the old OEM top. If you want to use all the old mounting points, you would be best off to go to a local cavas shop... and let them make you a top. That's never the cheap way... but a heavy top like that will fit the way you want, and probably out live the boat.

On the other hand... if you get a generic top, with aluminum bows... in the 84" range (but double check the width)... it will probably work. The generic tops normally come with top mounts... so you will have to buy some side mounts. They aren't too expensive, and you can get them at any boat shop, or an on-line shop like Overtons. But then again... a little white vinyl (sticker) can cover the old side screw holes.

The only issue with side mounts like that... is that your cover isn't going to fit anymore. AND... if you don't get the bow width/shape right... it may not fold back nice.

FYI... I had a $120 generic top on my SPortster, and it worked very well.

192.jpg

Hey, a big thanks for the reply! I think I'll first try a less expensive solution - the $120 top with side mounts from Overton's, and see if I can live with it. Any advice on what colors I could get the cheap bimini in that would go with the purple speedster theme? (as you can probably see, we redid the upholstery in purple/white and repainted the cowl to match also) I believe the choices are gray, black, and blue ... don't want to get too crazy now, do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back