951 gtx performance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody02doo

Hey guys I have a 2002 seadoo gtx with the 951. And it's not the di version. I want to tear it apart and get some more power out of it. I pull tubes and wakeskaters and that is were I need more power. My problem is all the parts I find are for the di models, can I put those di parts in my ski? Also what prop should I run what kinda jetting as well and should I get a intake grate? I live in Michigan and also ride the big lake. Thanks guys!:D

the DI parts are not compatible with the carb models. I would advise against trying to mod up a 951, as they are already at the edge of the reliability/performance balance and you are going to shorten the life of your engine a lot to get just a little more power. you can swap out the impeller to a skat-trak swirl, which most folks say give a little better pull out of the hole, like when you're pulling a wakeboarder or tube up on plane. The swirl should keep you at the same top speed as well.

Toss on a Solas Concord 15/20, and a new wear ring. New plugs. Clean the fuel filter.

That's about it. Seriously. Don't mess up a running ski.

It should run 6800-7000 RPM wide open IN the water under load.

It should show about 58-63 on the speedo.

You could pitch down to get more off the line, or get a twin engine jet boat...

Agree with strizzo. 951's are on the edge. Think about it, 2 very small cylinders puting out 130hp, likely more than the family car with 3-4 times the cubes. I did modify a 951 a couple years ago. Ran real well for 2 summers till it grenaded. Couple thousand dollars and a year later almost fixed.

there are many answers to this question, the short answer being what everyone else has already said: unless you know what you're doing and have at least 1k to put into the motor, prop it and leave it alone, that being said built and modded 951's can run a very very long time. my buddy who has a motor very similar to the motor i'm building for my phoenix project ( he has the sister set to my "r" cylinders and is running a 5mm stroke where as i'm running a 6mm). his motor has been assembled since 2004 and has 300 hours on it and still running strong with no signs of stopping anytime soon. and he's not gentle on that ski either, its in a 99 xpl and runs 71 mph.

when it comes to the 951 no single component can be replaced and huge gains be acquired, and often another change (or sometimes several) is needed make the engine stable again. An example being: say you found a pretty new pipe you wanna put on your engine a coffman or a rossier. now you can't just bolt that bad boy up, go the lake that weekend and hammer down on the throttle, if the engine will even run you'll have it close to blowing if not blow within 10 mins. you have to make carb adjustments, and in the case of stock 951 carbs, no matter how big a jet you put in the main it will not reliably flow more than a 1.0 and nothing you can do will change that. so unless you like blowing pistons if you do a high performance pipe you have to find an aftermarket set of carbs. get the idea?

now what can you do?

as others have said a solas concord 15/20 and new wear ring ~ 200 bucks if you get the impeller used.

new set of reeds(stock or carbon tec) ~ 100

richen the carbs up ( those things are already running ridiculously lean from the factory to meet emissions, not really gain any performance but will gain reliability)

mild porting and polishing, lower case and mono block. you can go more aggressive but only if you rebuild the whole motor will require carb tuning . ~400

reed spacers ~75-100

"white" 951 pipe and manifold. will require carb tuning and actually finding a real one, not a painted knock off, not worth it imo as more performance can be gained else where for the same money. but still an option ~300

if you rebuild the whole motor you can get a stroke put on the crank but now your talking major money. ~1000

also if you rebuild the top-end and go more than 1mm over stock you need to have the domes milled to match the new piston size, other wise you're just promoting more detonation and 951 are already very prone to that. that's why now days when you seen a backyard warrior trying to build a 1050 ( stock 951 stroke with ~92mm pistons) they barely last 10 hours, you have to match dome size to piston size otherwise your not taking full advantage of the bigger pistons and promoting detention.

imo the way to build a performance 951 that will last is to stay as close to stock bore as possible, stroke the crank, port and clearance the cases, port the mono block, aftermarket carbs, stock pipe, stock head, increase compression to ~135 psi and use oem seadoo parts as much as possible .

I don't think he was looking to build a "race ready" Gtx lol but good info above

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

lol who do you think pioneers all performance tech? lol but i get your point, maybe i went a little overboard. :willy_nilly:

on the other hand, anyone else notice this smiley? :stupid: i'm gonna start using this thing all the time lol.

Yea im gonna try the new prop and wear ring. Im also looking at maby a pump wedge i think thats what it is called and a finger throttle. I just got it ready for summer just have to fix the speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back