951 Engine rebuild .. Maybe got a rattle?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmmmmm...i didn't hear anything unusual. Now remember a rattle is very normal out of the water....there is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch play...so, it moves back and forth.

BTW, the anti rattle kits don't last long...so skip buying them.

But seriously.. sounded like the pump was not preloaded...possible bad main bearing or faulty main bearing...take a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can isolate the sound...most likely nothing wrong, ride it like you stole it or sink it is my motto...

But seriously.. sounded like the pump was not preloaded...possible bad main bearing or faulty main bearing...take a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can isolate the sound...most likely nothing wrong, ride it like you stole it or sink it is my motto...

Once I get it to water .. I will certainly try and ride it like I stole it .... as long as the fun police arent out :-( ...

Anyway, sorry, bit of a novice at this, what does preloading the pump mean .... I know I had a hell of a problem getting the drive shaft off the engine ... "Thinking I could do it without taking off the 6 or so allen key bolts" ... So I may have pulled something out when i did this ....

When the engine went back together ... it all seemed to slot into place, but I did nothing at the prop end, just stuck the drive shaft back in the hole and lined up the PTO with the allen key bolts.

Regards

I find it's easier to remove the jet pump on the GTX models, to pull the drive shaft back enough to remove the engine...

I think that may be the way to go .....

I also believe in my excitement to get it back together I may have left out some little mushroom bits that go on the ends of the driveshaft and a plastic sleeve may have dropped out from the jet pump end.

So I am going to try and take the jet pump off and see what bits are missing.

Just disconnect cables and four or so big bolts... Is my hope :)

Well removing the jet pump was easy ... Remove reverse cable and steering cable and the 4big nuts ...

Disconected the drive shaft and started the engine .... Sounded a lot better ... Put grease and all bits back in ... .. Seems to sound a bit better but I am just happy that it is not the engine ... Will try it in the water and see if it is just me .... Posted the new video on you tube ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTRMQELxos&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back