951 Cylinder Bore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
OK.... I got these parts from a guy that is all about engines and horsepower... big horsepower. He was messing with the skis for a guy that just had $$ obviously. Question on the bore size of these cylinders for the 951. I assume he was planning on putting them in the 98 XPL. They are freshly bored and straight so I know they have not been installed in an engine yet. Bore size (3.603") I'd have to look closer but the sleeve has plenty of meat left on the sides. I wonder if it was resleeved to accomodate the bore size. I'm just wondering about this. Who would waste time and expense boring a cylinder to this size if there was not specific application. I might have to go find the guy and talk to him about it. Was there and engine larger than the 951??

I will check the cylinders out today. I did measure the outside Diameter of the sleeve and it is the same as stock The bore of this cylinder is .138" larger than stock. Perhaps this guy was installing some oddball pistons in these cylinders. When I say big HP he gets 500hp out of the old 70's model Volkswagen engines. So he says. This would certainly explain the box of parts I got.... casings, cylinders, cranks, carbs and all that sort of stuff. I'll have to look him up. I sure don't need this cylinders... LOL

Upload pic of the cylinder most probably a rossier set up with 91.5mm wisseco old school pistons.

Regards
Anastasios

If you can get a hold of him you should see what pistons he was going to use. Nobody I know makes pistons that large. 91 MM is the max on Wiseco and you would have the have the crank case machined for them to fit at that size. It may be cheaper to get a different cylinder.

I'm gonna have to find the mad man the does this kinda work and talk to him about it. :) I got the ski from him but my phone went swimming so I have to find his number another way. :D

There was no 500hp 951 build. If he bored the cylinders... they were going into that ski I can tell ya. :D :D I might have to start hangin with him.

Yeah, I was just making a late-night funny! :)

Off hand I'd guess the cylinder walls are getting thin but it's not often if ever (I think never) I've head of cracked 951 sleeves. Broken skirts flying around in the case is supposedly an issue.

Probably I'll splash my boat this weekend.

I've heard some strange things from a guy that used to bore my cylinders. He was boring out a Kawi 550 and using Yamaha pistons and changing the ports on the cylinders... He's a machinist so I guess he likes working on them more than riding them. And he wasn't racing either. I mean he could have just bought a 650 or 750 and put it in. I agree there's no replacement for displacement but I'll go with the 787 carb over a 951 any day.

I agree there's no replacement for displacement but I'll go with the 787 carb over a 951 any day.

Really, you like the 787 better? I recently acquired a 2000 RX that is locked up. I'm keeping that one unless someone want is more than me. :D :D $$ LOL I'm tired of my wife passing me up on my GTX. I was gonna do a top end on mine to get even with hers. I was so tempted to build a cheater but I just can't do it. She likes whippin my azz too much. :D

I agree the 951 is probably more prone to grenading that the others, also amazes me it can push my boat to 50MPH under the right (best) conditions but it does so pretty good for what it is till it bites the big one. I kinda take it easy on it for this reason.... That, and the short-fat hull can knock your teeth out. I thought my Eliminator boat was a rough ride till I climbed into this boat.

Here's a pic of something I'm beginning to work on putting together this spring, trying to shoe horn a merc sterndrive onto the transom... got a ways to go but most of what I need from a rotten donor boat:

Attachments

• Texas Tunnel.jpg
    Texas Tunnel.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Really, you like the 787 better? I recently acquired a 2000 RX that is locked up. I'm keeping that one unless someone want is more than me. :D:D $$ LOL I'm tired of my wife passing me up on my GTX. I was gonna do a top end on mine to get even with hers. I was so tempted to build a cheater but I just can't do it. She likes whippin my azz too much. :D

787 seems to be more reliable and the 951 is a pain to work on. I've not seen a huge difference in speed. We had an RX a couple years ago and that's a great machine. Big 2 seater with reverse and trim too which is awesome. The RX was dead even with the 97 XP which is pretty fast. The book reads the 951 is about 2 mph faster. We have about 6 in the group and the fastest is the gtx rfi 787. The DI breaks down several times a year, every year. I mostly ride with my 14 year old daughter so that's why we have the Sea Couch side by side. That went about 32 and now with a twin carb 750 it goes maybe 42. We've had that a decade and I don't have to work on it at all. I clean the carbs every couple years and that's it. I bought it when she was 4 so I didn't have to worry about her falling off. I just picked up a second one that runs great but I want to put a 787 in it for some goofy reason.

787 seems to be more reliable and the 951 is a pain to work on.

Agree, what's not to like about the 787? But they're all a pain to work on, especially if you have to climb up then inside and down into a bilge but at least you can get to things once in there, in most cases.....

One thing they did right on the 951 was the air box that takes about 2 seconds to remove.

Bravo that's a new one I haven't heard of yet.
Kawasaki SC is for Sport Cruiser, Sea Couch, Super Chicken... I personally prefer Sea Couch as it has a bench seat. This is what ours looked like in 1991.

Attachments

• 1991-kawasaki-jet-ski-SC-jl650-service-repair-workshop-manual.jpg
    1991-kawasaki-jet-ski-SC-jl650-service-repair-workshop-manual.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 9
Agree, what's not to like about the 787? But they're all a pain to work on, especially if you have to climb up then inside and down into a bilge but at least you can get to things once in there, in most cases.....

One thing they did right on the 951 was the air box that takes about 2 seconds to remove.

I suppose I mean the exhaust on the 951 is much larger and all over the place. And from what I've seen the 787 seems to be more reliable. For 2 MPH I'd rather not have the big 951 exhaust all over.

Very nice. Im still in ‘need’ of a super chicken.
They're a little rare. Not too special. 32 stock is a little slow. I got our first one when by daughter was about 4. She sits right next to me and I can put one arm around her and drive it. The steering has 3 positions which is nice. Left for left driver, Center for 1 person and Right for right driver.

I agree the 951 is probably more prone to grenading that the others, also amazes me it can push my boat to 50MPH under the right (best) conditions but it does so pretty good for what it is till it bites the big one. I kinda take it easy on it for this reason.... That, and the short-fat hull can knock your teeth out. I thought my Eliminator boat was a rough ride till I climbed into this boat.

Here's a pic of something I'm beginning to work on putting together this spring, trying to shoe horn a merc sterndrive onto the transom... got a ways to go but most of what I need from a rotten donor boat:

That's a wicked cool boat. You should look into Copart for the drive and maybe the engine. They sell insurance cars, boats' sleds, bikes and skis that are considered totaled or not fixable. Most boats you don't need a license for so you should be able to find a good deal.

Dont ever see any near me riding or for sale. I will eventually find one.
They're out there. I just bought a second from craigslist. I don't need it but it was 5 miles away, both titles and it was cheap - like me. It runs too. The first one I bought I achieved the most unlikely thing... I posted a wanted ad on Craigslist, and reposted it for like 5 months. This guy contacted me that lived about 30 miles away and I got that one for $400, good running condition no trailer. There's 1 or 2 on ebay every year too.

I suppose I mean the exhaust on the 951 is much larger and all over the place. And from what I've seen the 787 seems to be more reliable. For 2 MPH I'd rather not have the big 951 exhaust all over.

The Super Chicken should see 50MPH without much sweat if it has an 787, considering an 951 boat will do that on a good day. In the case of a boat I don't think an 787 would have enough grunt to pull a slalom skier, considering the 951 is barely up to the task. Twin 787's yeah, but there you go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back