95 sp barely starts then dies immediately

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nis9446

I have a 1995 sea doo sp that I inherited from my grandfather, it’s been sitting about three years and I’ve been trying to get it running this year. I’ve rebuilt the carb, replaced all grey fuel lines, cleaned the fuel filter, put new spark plugs in and new plug boots on the cables, and a brand new battery. It’s still not running... This is my first mechanical type project and am looking for advice. It will start but only if I pull choke and give it gas and crank it for like 10-15 seconds and only for ~0.5 seconds before it dies. Any help would be appreciated

What's the compression? Have you verified fuel? What happens when you pour a little premix down the carb?

Did u use oem carb kits? Have the gray fuel lines been replaced. Have your replaced the fuel selector ? If not you can run straight to reserve from the carb while your waiting on one to come in. Also when cleaning carbs make sure the to spray out the three small holes in the carb throat past the butterfly.

What's the compression? Have you verified fuel? What happens when you pour a little premix down the carb?

I’m waiting on my uncle to see if he has the tool to test the compression of the cylinders before I order one. And what do you mean by verified? It had almost no fuel in it while sitting and I put a half tank of fresh gas in it. What is premix? Sorry I’m a newbie[emoji23] I tried spraying some starting fluid in it and it would start quicker but it wouldn’t run any longer.

Did u use oem carb kits? Have the gray fuel lines been replaced. Have your replaced the fuel selector ? If not you can run straight to reserve from the carb while your waiting on one to come in. Also when cleaning carbs make sure the to spray out the three small holes in the carb throat past the butterfly.

No I didn’t use oem. Yes all grey lines are gone. I will check the fuel selector either later today or tomorrow... would I be able to clean it with something like carb cleaner or do I need to replace it?

Ok so I went out to start testing some things and first thing I tested was to make sure it was getting a spark. It isn’t. Before I replaced the spark plug boots i got a reading of 13.2k ohms on the wire and with the boots on I got 0 ohms and I get the same reading now. I read on here somewhere that with the boots on you’re supposed to get 4.5-5k ohms. Not sure what’s wrong there

Make sure the key is on good. Mine can be slightly off and the ski will turn over but won’t fire. If I take the key off and put it firmly back on it fires. Check and clean all grounds. As far as cleaning the carbs . See the carb rebuild thread and follow it to a tee. Also clip your plug wires back 1/4 inch. Per Dr H does it fire if you pour premix in the carbs. And definitely check compression.

Ok so I clipped the plug wires back 1/4 inch and I cleaned the fuel selector valve. Now it will start fairly easy but will only run if I give it throttle. It quits when I let off the throttle. I was thinking maybe when I was rebuilding the carb I accidentally turned one of the adjustment screws... could that possibly be why? Any help is appreciated!

How much throttle do you need to give it just to keep it running? Perhaps you backed the idle adjustment way down? Also you mentioned you didnt use oem carb rebuild kit? What kit did you use? Aftermarket carb kits are known to give you more problems then they fix, right out of the box .

How much throttle do you need to give it just to keep it running? Perhaps you backed the idle adjustment way down? Also you mentioned you didnt use oem carb rebuild kit? What kit did you use? Aftermarket carb kits are known to give you more problems then they fix, right out of the box .

If I give it 1/4 throttle it runs with ease but I let go and it quits. I adjusted the high and low screws to the factory: low, 1 1/4 and high, 0. Still the same problem. The carb kit I ordered was from jetski plus .com. But the carb was in good shape the only parts I used was a couple rubber baskets and the circle diaghram cause the old ones were a tiny bit gummed up. There is a screw on the throttle cable linkage that I know I messed with. Not sure what it does but I can’t find anything on how to adjust that screw

Heres the idle adjustment. It should be idling at 2400 rpm out of water. If you backed the adjustment off then thats most likely why it won't stay running.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-17-10-42-51.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-17-10-42-51.png
    648.6 KB · Views: 17
Heres the idle adjustment. It should be idling at 2400 rpm out of water. If you backed the adjustment off then thats most likely why it won't stay running.

Ok I turned the idle screw in and it idled but at super high rpm, so I adjusted it to where it sounded normal and when I hit the throttle it died immediately. So I turned it in a little more and it idles at what sounds a little high to me but I’m a newbie so idk[emoji23] but first start at this setting it died when I hit the throttle, second third and fourth it didn’t die and ran fine. I’m gonna take it to the lake this weekend and see how it goes, wish me luck and thanks for all the helpful advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back