95 Seadoo SP Sticky Throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleW2

I am having an issue with my throttle sticking on my 1995 SP.
I noticed it when reassembling the Seadoo after pulling the carb for rebuild. Throttle wouldn't spring back. Pulled the spring off, seems to have enough strength to spring it back. Pulled both the oil injection cable and throttle cable off the carb and it still doesn't spring back. Pulled the carb off again and the throttle shaft wobbles in and out, and if I push it in (towards the carb), then it gets sticky. If I pull it out (away from the carb), then it seems fine.
What is the answer here? Is this part serviceable or am I looking at a brand new carb? Hopefully that is not the case.
Thanks

Figured it out. There was a washer missing that holds the assembly out far enough. I guess it fell off when I pulled the carb and didn’t notice it. All fixed!

Ok guys maybe the issue is not fixed.
Carb was operating fine off the ski, springing back as normal. Reattached to the ski today, hooked up both throttle and oil cables, and it is sticky again. Took off the throttle cable, and it springs back as it should. Adjusted the throttle cable as there was a little more play than necessary and it would spring back, but every now and then it gets sticky again. Are you supposed to lube the throttle cable on jet skis? I figure it won't hurt but don't want to only do that as a temporary fix and it stick WOT on the lake this summer.
Thanks

Hi . Did you remove the butterfly flaps when you rebuilt the carbs ? If butterfly's are not centred correctly and screws tightened on reassembly this can cause sticky throttle. And yes oil cables regularly , Andy

Hi . Did you remove the butterfly flaps when you rebuilt the carbs ? If butterfly's are not centred correctly and screws tightened on reassembly this can cause sticky throttle. And yes oil cables regularly , Andy

No I did not remove them.
Cool, that's what I figured. I will get them oiled this weekend.

Also while working today I was able to find and stop my injection oil leak, so we are starting to look good. Glad I started early on this and did not wait till summer to get it ready.

Okay so I traced the throttle cable this morning and found a kink in the cable. Was not very big, but the throttle cable is probably due for replacement anyway so one is on order.

Also, on the oil injection cable, it was routed through a cable guide before reaching the pump. Of course upon removal the other day I managed to pop this cable guide out of place and now it is somewhere underneath the motor :embarrassed: I have put a small rubber grommet in its place for the time being. Is there any good alternative to this cable guide, or should I just replace with OEM? Thanks

Okay so I traced the throttle cable this morning and found a kink in the cable. Was not very big, but the throttle cable is probably due for replacement anyway so one is on order.

Also, on the oil injection cable, it was routed through a cable guide before reaching the pump. Of course upon removal the other day I managed to pop this cable guide out of place and now it is somewhere underneath the motor :embarrassed: I have put a small rubber grommet in its place for the time being. Is there any good alternative to this cable guide, or should I just replace with OEM? Thanks

Im glad you have found your sticky throttle issue , Im removing my carbs again this week to check mine throughout as throttle does not snap shut quickly. I have just stripped/ cleaned and kitted the carbs but not snapping shut quick enough for me. also very flat on rev up so I want to check all settings of the carbs / also back fires sometimes when starting on choke?? I have checked the rotary valve timing a few weeks ago when carbs where off for rebuild and was correct.
Anyone got any ideas if back firing on start up is related to the slow throttle pick up response?

So new throttle cable came in today as well as the cable guide for the oiler. Both are in and the throttle is no longer sticky.
The old cable was extremely stretched out, as the new cable is much tighter to the carb. Need to get the old gas drained out and get some fresh stuff in it and hopefully it'll fire up.

Glad you sorted yours , I've sorted mine too ended up that both carb spindles were sticky in carbs ,removed them cleaned lubed and reassembled all sorted now

Weather was finally warm enough to work again. Got the carb put back on, fresh gas and all that fun stuff. Started it up and the idle is EXTEMELY high. I’m talking full throttle high. Where should I look?
I am going to order a new carb base gasket in hopes that is it as I forgot to order one before. Other than that, what adjustments can be checked that adjust idle?

Thought of that. I adjusted the idle adjustment screw so that it wasn't touching at all, then released the throttle cable and noticed that it moved the throttle up even more, so it appears that the throttle cable is too tight. Awesome!
Started it up with the throttle cable disconnected and the idle screw not touching and idle was still high.

Are you throttle flaps closed or are they sticking open like mine were?
If they are closed you may be right and sucking air through gaskets, worth a check

They appeared to be closing fine when I started it yesterday. How hard is it to remove the throttle assembly to clean/lube them? Don’t want to risk messing anything up on that end.
Emailed the seller about the throttle cable and they are issuing me a refund. Found a NOS OEM cable for the same price I paid for the aftermarket so that will be on order as well as a carb gasket

You need to adjust the throttle cable and the oil cable as either of them can hold the throttle open. With both cables disconnected and the idle screw not touching the butterfly should be closed and the shi should not start.

If you have and air leak the engine will go to wide open throttle and the stop button will not turn it off. You will have to pull the choke to flood the engine out.

So if I disconnect the throttle cable and oil cable and the ski still starts with the butterfly closed, would that point to an air leak?

Okay awesome. I will try that this afternoon when I pull off the throttle cable to return it. I went ahead and ordered a new gasket and throttle cable this morning. I bet that is my issue.
When replacing the gasket, do I put it on dry or is it ideal to use a sealer or anything like that on it?

They typically go on dry but some here use a little ThreeBond 1211. Do not use RTV silicone.

Put the new gasket and OEM throttle cable on this afternoon, jet ski fired right up and below normal idle. Now just gotta tune it to the correct idle and we should be good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back