95 GTX starts, idles, wont rev high enough to plane

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike95gtx

Was running fine until my dad sucked up some rope. He pulled it up on the dock and turned it on its side to get the rope out. All the rope appears to be gone and he said he rode it afterwards but when I went to ride it wont rev up enough to get up on plane - goes like 10 mph maybe. Everything appears to be working fine except for this.*

I assumed there was still rope stuck somewhere but I cant find any and he said hes pretty sure he got it all out. Started looking around on forums and got all the info on the grey tempo lines. Assumed that he sloshed some gunk around when he had it flipped on its side so decided this was probly the problem.

Replaced those and cleaned the internal carb filters and selector valve. There was not much green goo but there was some in the filters - not nearly as bad as pictures ive seen. Put everything back together and does the same thing - no change. The only lines I didn't change were the vent lines since they are just air - should I change these too?

Read some more and started thinking it was the rectifier but I tested it for ac current at the battery and didn't get any. I changed the plugs (ngk br8es) and clipped off some plug wire but the real pain is that i cannot test unless I drive it to the lake and put it in the water - it sounds fine on the trailer.

Is there a chance thay rope got inside the jet pump? There doesnt seem to be any reatriction on the shaft. It idles around the lake just as normal - just wont rev up to to take off. Just bogs a bit and pushes water - it doesnt die tho just runs low rpms at WOT.

Please help - I want my seadoo back!
Mike

Hi and welcome to the Seadoo forum. Get a flashlight and take a look at your wear ring, I'll bet it's in pieces, not a big job to change it.

Lou

Its looks to be in good shape and clearances look good although I dont have a gauge to test them. The ski was just idling next to the dock when the rope was sucked in so I dont think it damaged anything such as the shaft or wear ring.

I havent tested it since replacing the plugs and trimming off some plug wire - they were kinda black looking. If he was just putting around the lake all day like the old man he is would that potentially foul the plugs?

The ski was running great before this happened.

From what ive read there are two check valves on the lines that I didn't replace (the air lines). The top check valve by the handle bars should let air in and the bottom one on the hull near the waterline should let air/fuel out if the tank becomes pressurized. If the bottom one is plugged or whatever as I believe to be the case - would that potentially cause my problem?

Yes, try loosening the gas cap, if you hear a woosh the tank is not venting. There is really no need to change the grey lines in the vent system, as they are not part of the fuel delivery system. However you could have a clogged vent, try clearing it with a paper clip or compressed air.

So are you now thinking that sucking up the rope is not the root of the problem?

Lou

Im thinking the problem had more to do with the ski being turned on its side - which was where I started originally. Idk im just trying to think of every possibility. The last time I tried it on the lake I also bypassed the fuel selector and had fuel line straight from tank to water separator then to carb. This made no difference but I had left the reserve line connected to the fuel selector in the off position just as a a plug. When I got home I noticed some fuel was leaking from the fuel selector. Pressure had built yp in the tank and was enough to make the fuel selector leak in the off position. I pinched the line and removed the hose clamp and
pointed the line into a gas can. Fuel shot out like a garden hose when I released the pinch and showed no signs of stopping until I cracked the gas cap. To me this indicates that the lower check valve is probably not venting pressure like it should. I think the top one is working tho cause I blew into it when I was trying to prime my fuel lines - this seemed to be more difficult than most have reported. I had to do alot of sucking and blowing and with much more pressure than seemed should be necessary but I finally got fuel to run thru the carb and out the return nipple but it still took alot of cranking to get it to start that first time.

Now im starting to second guess everything and wondering if there is a chance I didn't put all the lines back in the right place. The service manual diagram isn't very helpful either because none of the lines are labelled and you have to try to trace them thru a complicated diagram. I fiund I simple drawing somebody had made and it appeared I had it right but again no labels sohard to be sure.

For clarification. Main fuel line goes from baffle to switch 'in' then 'out' to water seperator then to mag carb inlet (one w the fuel pump, closest to fuel tank. Then goes to pto carb and excess goes out return line on pto carb and back to fuel baffle. Going from memory but does that sound correct?

Im taking the ski w us this weekend to the lake so i'll have a chance to test some of these theories. Trying to stock up on info since I doubt ill have internet available most of the time.

Thamks for all your help Lou - I really appreciate any info you can provide.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Success! That pressure release valve was plugged! Pretty sure that was it anyway unless it just needed new plugs. Regardless it works great now! Now I just need to make sure the oily residue im getting in my hull is just from a spill or something - hope im not leaking from somewhere! Sure seems like I wiped this off already tho ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back