95 gtx hull fitting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CRC

I am installing a new thru hull fitting and the manual says to use a 3M-05900 epoxy, but i havn't found this epoxy on 3M's website or local stores.

What epoxy should i use for the new insert?
thanks
CRC

'Sikaflex' is a very common sealant that is used from small boats to superyacht's.Check there website and its easy to get.They have everything

Thru the hull fitting - for the driveshaft? Pep boys 12bux fiberglass repair kit has the A-B to mix and some screen if you want to form an overlay wrapped around the seam, clean everything well with laquer thinner to be sure it sticks like superglue on your fingertips.

Thanks for the replies....

Yes, the manual says to saw off the existing fitting flush on the inside of the hull and insert the new aluminum one with the epoxy.

You still think i will need to use some fiberglass

Attachments

• SeaDoo 001.jpg
    SeaDoo 001.jpg
    1,004.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
hey crc I'm in the same boat as you right now, found this thread during my search. I managed to find the 5900 on 3M's U.K. site, but there is no buying options. I sent a message to 3m to find out what the deal is, and I'm going to call grainger tomorrow to see if they can't cross it over to something. I'll let ya know if I find anything out, otherwise I'll try the other suggestions. I just really want to make sure it seals right (especially since I almost sunk once already). I don't think the fiberglass stuff is a good idea though, since the insert is getting bonded to plastic

EDIT: here's the link to the 3m site: http://catalogue.3m.eu/en_GB/GB-Marine/Adhesives/Plastic_Repair/td~Flexible_Parts_Repair_Material~nocode/Flexible_Parts_Repair_Material~05900

you cant buy it on there site because 3m dont wanna f with us lil fish...there a distributor.... sellin to the big dogs.... so you'll have to find one of their smaller distributors... try some nicer custom auto stores, or a drag racing store or even if you got one round you a vintage rebuilding shop...we got a few of these types of stores around here in the valley if i get a chance in the next day or so i'll try and give em a buzz and see what they gots??? if you dont mind me asking.....why the hell are you having to cut it off???

you cant buy it on there site because 3m dont wanna f with us lil fish...there a distributor.... sellin to the big dogs.... so you'll have to find one of their smaller distributors... try some nicer custom auto stores, or a drag racing store or even if you got one round you a vintage rebuilding shop...we got a few of these types of stores around here in the valley if i get a chance in the next day or so i'll try and give em a buzz and see what they gots??? if you dont mind me asking.....why the hell are you having to cut it off???

The hull originally had only a plastic insert through the hole that the rubber hose clamped to. the bearing on my seal carrier seized, spun the hose, broke the plastic and ripped the rubber. Seadoo sells and aluminum insert to glue into place so the rubber tube has something to clamp to on the hull.

Yeah i don't really expect to be able buy direct from 3M (actually you can at shop3m.com if you want to buy a whole case) but I can't even find it in their catalog which leads me to believe they don't make that formula any more.

CRC I just noticed your picture. If the plastic on yours isn't messed up at all I don't think I would mess with it. Save the $50 bucks they charge for the insert

Well i have already invested in the piece, but that's ok.....Look at the picture again....i was told it was a little undersized which would make it difficult for the hose to seal that was the reason i alraedy purchased the new piece. Although once i pull the shaft, i will see how the new hose fits with the hull piece and the shaft bearing before i start cutting off the old one.

Two more questions:

1. Do you thnk the marine epoxys on 3m site will work? the ones with the 4200 model numbers

2. How hard is it to pull the shaft, i'm looking at starting on it today.

do you have a shop manual???? read all about it in the how 2 section... prolly gonna be a lil headache if you've never done it... but with enough research and patience it's ALL possible!

After working on it today it seems i have a bigger problem. The motor may be locked. I bought it and the spi i have from a local owner, i was mainly wanting the double trailer that they were on, but i bought it all.

I am not able to turn the shaft by hand like i can with the spi. Any suggestions of what to try. We sprayed WD-40 into the cylinders hoping it will eventually free up.

ETA: Yes i downloaded the shop manual from ******************

home depot about $5... baller isht... like wd40 to the thousandth power, will loosen almost anything... if you mixed oils... odds may be that your injectors clogged and pistons seized hope the best for you!!!

CRC sorry to hear about your luck. When you do get around to that hull fitting however, this is the best thing I came up with for that epoxy: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=J6CLNP3ZV2gsNGQGZXQ0C5gl2SML00WXQHbl

It cost me $50 for a small tube. I spent a lot of time on the phone with 3M and they didn't do anything for me. recommended a 4000uv or something like that, which is practically caulk, not epoxy. It would probably work but I'm not willing to take chances on this one

Hey CRC...I just posted a new thread today about the same problem. I have a 94 GTX and need to replace this seal...

The Shop Manual is not very clear on getting this done...or at least the procedures leading up to getting this done.

Looks like I am going to have to pull the jet pump and go in from there. oi vei!!! and not a PWC Mechanic within 150 miles of me...and I live on the water!! can you believe that???

Epoxy

CRC sorry to hear about your luck. When you do get around to that hull fitting however, this is the best thing I came up with for that epoxy: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MAutomotive/Aftermarket/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQCEK3_nid=J6CLNP3ZV2gsNGQGZXQ0C5gl2SML00WXQHbl

It cost me $50 for a small tube. I spent a lot of time on the phone with 3M and they didn't do anything for me. recommended a 4000uv or something like that, which is practically caulk, not epoxy. It would probably work but I'm not willing to take chances on this one

Any auto parts store sells two part epoxy. It ain't Rocket Science!

suprisingly, NAPA sels a 2-part 15 minute epoxy... and let me tell you it seals, sticks, and stays... it dries a beige coloe, and seriously..you CANT break it...

Any auto parts store sells two part epoxy. It ain't Rocket Science!

Gee you're right! why didn't I just use some JB Weld? That's a two-part epoxy isn't it?

Actually you're right it's not rocket science. Hell I should have just bought some pipe fitting adapter from home depot and used liquid nails to seal/adhere it. But the RIGHT way to do it is to use what the manufacturer specified. They didn't pick blah blah 5900 because it's their lucky number or the like the color or the way it smells. There are many many many epoxies in the world with different characteristics as far as substrates, hardness, working time, cure time, heat resistance, etc.

So if you've done this repair and are saying that autozone has an appropriate material to do the job, then let us know. But IMO to just grab some random epoxy off the shelf is pretty ignorant.

EDIT:
suprisingly, NAPA sels a 2-part 15 minute epoxy... and let me tell you it seals, sticks, and stays... it dries a beige coloe, and seriously..you CANT break it...

See daverade said pretty much the same thing without being insulting and actually establishing that it works! Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back