94 xp starting problem, need some help here.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKnarrowback

Hello,

I rebuilt my motor and pump, ran the machine and everything worked perfect.

I am trying to isolate a starting problem that has shown up.
If i choke the machine and crank it for 7ish seconds it starts up, but acts like it is running on one cylinder, then shuts of after about 5 seconds. If i pour a little gas in the cylinders it fires right off and runs perfect for a few seconds then shuts off.

So i would say it's a fuel problem, no gas. But it ran perfect yesterday, the filter/seperator is full, the plugs are wet as are the tops of the pistons.

When i get the machine to start without putting gas in the cylinders it runs poorly and shuts down, every time, like it's on a 5 second timer.

I did charge the battery in the machine. Did i damage a module?

If i damaged a module why does it start, perfectly, with gas poured in the plug holes and turn off like a fuel problem?

Would a damaged module allow it to start but time roughly 5 seconds before killing the spark?

The motor rebuild was done correctly, new crank, new pistons. I have done lots of rebuilds and nothing was odd about this one. I thought i had seen, almost, all running problems but this one has me stumped.......

BTW - Charging the battery in the machine was a brain fart, i should have known better....

Thanks.

Got an update....

Got it started, tons of smoke and an oil slick in back. I think i put a hair too much oil (wolly mammoth hair) in the gas for the break in. I already put 8 gallons of fresh gas in at the end of the last ride. There might be some more elements to rebuild (carbs) if this continues.

I'll double check the vent.

When were the carbs rebuilt & fuel lines last changed?

A clean fuel system is critical to avoid problems like you are describing.

If it's running only when you put some fuel down the cylinders. Then that seems like a fuel delivery problem.

I just bought my buddy's '96 GTi and it's been sitting for 2 years in the side of his house. I bought it from him knowing it needs the carbs rebuilt, new fuel lines etc. But I can deal with that. I back my trailer into the water and tried starting the ski and it only started with some premix poured down the stock flame arrestor and would barely idle. I had to keep the choke pulled to keep it (barely) alive!

So I got it home and opened up the carbs knowing that this ski still had the dreaded grey Tempo fuel lines and Yep! Green goo was oozing out of the Pulse nipple. Nasty stuff! But I already knew that! Just wanted to see if it would actually idle and it did(with a lot of help!).

So I would suggest a complete overhaul of the fuel system to avoid starting/idling issues.

I have seen the same thing when the needle and seats are leaking.

As Cliff787 said, tell me you rebuilt the carbs when you rebuilt the engine?

I think I may have made a bad assumption here and assumed since he rebuilt the engine, he certainly rebuilt the carbs. Therefore, I suspected a fuel delivery system problem. Please do tell us you rebuilt the carbs too. If not, it would be wise to protect the investment of a rebuilt engine to do so. Let us know so we know how best to assist you next.

If tons of smoke and an oil slick is out back of the ski.

It sounds like a crank seal could be bad.

I had this exact problem when my crank seal was bad from standing water in the bottom end. Would start, smoke like a freight train with oil spewing out the back. Only other thing was the idle was excessively high at 5.5k rpms or higher and unadjustable.

But you have a starting problem. Mine started every time.

Never mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back