94 seadoo xp 657x

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys waiting on my starter solenoid in the mail so i decided to recheck my carbs in the meantime since it was having part throttle bogging. My question is, is it ok to have my pop off at the high end of the specs the xp manual says 16-21 psi and both my carbs i have set to pop off at 21 psi ?

Yes, you will be okay.

I have the exact same machine and was fighting low end bog problems as well. I increased my pop off up to 28ish and have had no problems in two years of running. All other carb parts and specs were left as outlined in the shop manual. I did check my plugs constantly on the first ride after adjusting the pop off and never saw a lean indication. The higher pop off did help improve the low end.

I also had my rv cover milled to tighten up the clearance since there was some wear.

Changing to a 271000400 impeller topped things off. The combination of those three "adjustments" took my xp from being a low end slug to a quick responding machine like I would expect it to be. I have seen conflicting info on impeller pitches, the "sea-doo source" page shows the 94 xp as having an abnormal high pitch compared to othe similar hp machines. Other sources show a more "normal" pitch. I found a pitch gauge on line that I printed on clear plastic and sure enough, my stock impeller was the 16/24 monster. They didn't start using that tall of a pitch until the 96 xp with 110hp, the 94 xp 657x has 80hp........

The impeller change only improved the machine performance. Low end pulls good, top end is around 51 mph. The machine "jumps" at anything under full throttle when I peg the throttle, incredibly strong response to changes. The motor was a full rebuild two years ago.

Last edited:
awesome thank for the info i will definitely change the impeller and raise the pop off a bit more if i continue to have problems

Double check the impeller to be sure it is stil the oem unit with the high pitch. They aren't cheap and someone might have changed it in the past.

See if you can get this printed on a plastic sheet.

If it shows up distorted look up "printable impeller pitch gauge" and go to images. See if you can download a clearer image.

Attachments

• impeller pitch gauge Model (1).jpg
    impeller pitch gauge Model (1).jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Also a heads up on impellers I learned the hard way. You can’t just go by pitch. The only sure way to tell if you have the stock impeller is by the part number. I bought a “stock pitch” impeller for my 94 GTX from SBT which ended up being a repitched impeller. Which they assured me would work and they have done before. Checking with a pitch gauge ( I downloaded the same one) it was the correct pitch. But after much frustration fighting poor low end acceleration and removing a checking the impeller 4 times. I finally just ordered a good used correct part number impeller from Westside where I then saw the difference. The vanes on the correct impeller were longer they extended around the hub a greater distance on the leading edges thus creating a softer transition between the starting and ending pitches.

Yes agreed,

The impeller I suggested using has an oem Sea-Doo number on it. I ran another DOO impeller with the same pitch and it did not run like the one I have, two impellers, same pitches, different results. Something about that 271000400 is different and it really woke my XP up, it was pure luck/random chance I stumbled across it.

Now I'm gonna have to find one of those impellers for my '94 XP and give it a try... If I ever manage to get spark that is. Thanks for the advice AK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back