94 GTX Traction Mats

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benstoker

Has anyone put traction mats on a 1994 GTX or a seadoo with the painted gritty footwell? Mine has that sandpaper-esque grit painted on the footwell and id like to strip it out and put in hydro turf if its possible. Suggestions? Thanks!

Are you certain it's a painted finish? My 96GTI (same hull as yours), actually has that finish in the gel cote, I installed the self adhesive traction mats right over the finish 4 years ago and they've done fine.

If it is actually a painted on finish I think you would probably need to remove the paint before installing the mats.

Lou

I have a 95gtx and a 96gts that I just put hydro turf on best thing I have done to them. I went with the dark grey

Thanks Lou. It's quite possible that it is in the gel coat (I'm a noob with watercraft). So you didnt have to sand anything out with the grit traction? How well does the 3M PSA hold on the gritty parts if you didnt have to sand it?

Hey ricochet. Did you just pick up the "90-95 GT Family" turf set? Is it pretty spongy?

Thanks guys!

I just go right over the top. you could humor yourself by sanding it down, it sands easily, but I never had an issue. It sticks just fine

You can request a free sample from them on their site but its not really spongy. X2 I just cleaned mine with simple green really well epoxied the rivet holes then installed them btw it's worth getting the Psa it's way easier than the glue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
Nice ricochet! Those really look a heck of a lot better that the purple pieces that come stock on these things.

Im actually pretty sure most seadoos have that grit underneath all the matts. When I did my 96 xps, I removed the stock matts and it had that grit material under it. Just cleaned it well with acetone and it works great. Used the 3m psa and no issues.

[MENTION=63503]blairwill4[/MENTION] - Thanks for the info. I picked up some acetone and Super Clean this evening to start really cleaning this puppy up. I'm looking forward to getting this thing on the water.
[MENTION=49142]griz400[/MENTION] - Awesome stuff. I saw the ad for that on one of the site banners. I'm placing the order tomorrow I think.

I need to get a seat cover too. Has anyone on here used the hydro turf seat covers? Are they pretty durable?

The nice thing about that anti-slide coating on your Sea Doo is that it gives you a PERFECT outline on where to install the mats. Use acetone and I would use several rags and wipe it down multiple times. Use a roller on the mat once installed and let it sit for 24 hours before putting the ski in use or allowing water to get on it. I installed Black Tip mats about a month ago on my 95 GTX and LOVE THEM

[MENTION=64073]du werk[/MENTION] - those look awesome! I was trying to decide between the black tips and hydro turf but the 15% forum discount for hydro turf decided for me :thumbsup:
[MENTION=65612]Luv2Camp[/MENTION] - Thats a great point. I was getting my straight edge and pencils out just before I read your post, lol.

[MENTION=65612]Luv2Camp[/MENTION] - That's an awesome vid. Luckily, I have a heavy roller from another project that should work perfectly for that project.

hump seat.jpg

Heres my hyrdo seat. They look awesome and feel great. I try not to leave mine in the sun when not necesary but so far no fading, and its deffinitly very durable. Worth the money.

[MENTION=63503]blairwill4[/MENTION] - thats a rockstar looking seat. Definitely going on my "to order" list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back