93 xp revving??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxrider9239

heys guys, went out they other week and flipped the ski. after that it started up fine no problems...shortly after that i shut it off and tried starting it again and it was pretty difficult. once it started it would bog if i gave it a little gas and almost die out until it reached about have throttle...now i fixed the bogging but for some reason my ski will almost rev by itself and just earlier it wouldnt stop revving so i shut it off and called it quits until i got more info on it. Do you guys know why this could be happening? please let me know i want to get back on the water asap! its too nice to work on the toys lol:willy_nilly:

Last edited by a moderator:
would an air leak just appear out of nowhere though? i havent touched anything except take the airbox off unless the small paper thin gasket between the carbs and the spark arrestor housing was destroyed right? this revving is killing me

Well... you said you fixed an issue... so I assumed you had the carbs off. BUT... yes, a leak can just appear. As the gaskets dry out... they eventually loose their ability to seal.

You don't need the gasket between the carb and air box.

i didnt actually take the carbs out, sorry about that. i only took off the air box and spark arrestor housing which attaches to the top of the carbs. so technically an air leak wouldnt really matter much right?? just trying to get as much help as possible

it doesnt seem like a cable issue...i can rev it no problems up to about 5k rpms but once i rev it higher than that it stays revving for a few seconds...im scared it would blow up on me!!

Well he has it with air leak then most likely. While idling on the hose you can take WD40 with a straw on it and spray around the base of the carbs, the RV cover, the rear seal, and the base of the cylinders to see if the idle is affected. I it is then you have found your leak.

ok ill see if i can check it out tomorrow. And what happens if its not affected, any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually... it's hard to troubleshoot anything on the trailer. Go put it in the water so there is a load on the engine... then tell us if it's still reving.

I have found that the WD-40, starting fluid and carb cleaner test for air leaks is not very effective on PWC engines. IF the carb is closing and the cable has slack it is 99% an air leak and needs to be checked properly. As DR. honda said there are only 2 ways to safely start that ski now. 1. in the water so there is a load on the engine. 2. Keep the air cleaner off and keep a gas can ready to go. What you are more than likely experiencing is a runaway ski. What happens is the engine starts and is getting a small amount of fuel and a large amount of air from the air leak but it is enough fuel to keeep it running so the combustion is very hot at it ignites the lean air/fuel mixture without spark just like a diesel engine so you can hit the kill switch and even pull the spark plug caps off but it will keep running faster and faster until BOOM. You could pull the choke but that usually is not enough so remember that gas can you have ready to go in step 2? Pour gas down the carb and it will flood the engine out ans stop it with no dammage.

This is why you need to do a leak down test to find that air leak. If the carb is closing (idle screw) and cable is loose it has to be an air leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back