93 GTX rectifier issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkski

First, thanks to all the folks who post info here, I can usually solve all my seadoo issues with your help.

last year I had issues with the ski running very poorly. I traced it back to a bad rectifier and replaced it quite easily and it ran great after that. After about 15 hours, I started having the same problems again. Very poor performance to the point I cant run it very far at all. Battery power goes down as well, so i suspect I have another blown rectifier. I will replace that of course, but my question is if that is in fact the problem, why would it keep failing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

First, thanks to all the folks who post info here, I can usually solve all my seadoo issues with your help.

last year I had issues with the ski running very poorly. I traced it back to a bad rectifier and replaced it quite easily and it ran great after that. After about 15 hours, I started having the same problems again. Very poor performance to the point I cant run it very far at all. Battery power goes down as well, so i suspect I have another blown rectifier. I will replace that of course, but my question is if that is in fact the problem, why would it keep failing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

They seem to fail pretty often. I would suspect there is a reason that creates them to fail as often as they do. I would bet that there is a connection issue such as a poor ground. If that is the case, it will require extra amperage for the electronics to operate. This may be hard on the rectifier. If it were me, I would go to the auto parts store and purchase a black (ground) cable and run it from the battery to the block as the ground is VERY important. Having an extra ground will NOT hurt, it can only help.

I have also read that they make a heavy duty version of the rectifyer. I'd have to do some research to confirm this.

Joe has given some good advise but a little off in this instance.

While true that rectifiers have issues, its usually in the 787s, RFIs, and DI machines. I dont think Ive sold more than 3 of the 580-720 style rectifiers.

Again while true that a ground is usually the culprit, its again usually in 787, 951, DI and RFIs. Yours is short and up off the bottom of the hull. Not a bad idea to try just to rule it out though.

Now on rectifier issues, put a voltmeter on the battery and it should be 12.5. then start it and it should bump into the 13s. Rev it up to 4-5k rpm and watch the volts. if it goes over 14, its definately a rectifier.

You can also unhook the red wire off the rectifier and then test it. it wont charge the battery, but it should run fine if is indeed the rectifier.

You could pop the mag cover off and make sure there isnt water in there, check the connectors hiding in there. go thru everything and look for something corroded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back