92 seadoo sp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
just this year i resurrected a 90 sp. i think my total bills came out to be under 400? anyways well worth it, that thing still hauls ass good enough for me and my girl on the back. while i noticed people on three seaters on the lake blew us away it was still worth it imo

you'll need a regular inline oil filter, and fuel filters. im pretty sure yours might have some smaller fuel filters just above the gas tank? also check the fuel lines to see if their grayed. also plugs, and possibly a carb kit. if it sat that long you might have an oil leak from the grommet at the bottom of the oil tank, mine did and actually still does after i paid a certified pro to fix it :mad: just a few more things off my head.

thanks for reply
need to no were to start.
new battery,new fuel,oil then what ?

i priced a few brains start 200 and up

How do you know its bad? Not to mention if motor needs rebuild and your time.

If so, I would say pass only b/c you can find skis running for well under a 1k

i copy that . thought i would start a winter project with limited funding i am limitted to what i can doo.
was looking for others opinions on matter.
will be bring seadoo from PA to LI tomorrow if it doesnt work out i will part out what ever is good and or donate for tax write off:cool:

i copy that . thought i would start a winter project with limited funding i am limitted to what i can doo.
was looking for others opinions on matter.
will be bring seadoo from PA to LI tomorrow if it doesnt work out i will part out what ever is good and or donate for tax write off:cool:

yeah those two statements together won't ever work hahaha
luckily 2 stokes are easy to work on with limited knowledge. Especially if you get a manual.

right if you know the motor needs rebuilt its not worth it. on craigslist an old runnin ski with a trailer sells less than 500 if you can ccatch one at the right momemnt. unless you think the motor works i wouldnt be scared to do it.

have to determine that. quess i will find out shortly.once i get it back home and opener her up

welcome to the forum its nice to see another guy on here from long island

youd be suprised how little it could take to get it running again ... my spx wasnt running for a good 3 years before i got it and i put a battery right in it and she started right up ... a little smokey tho but i took it out on the water and burned out some of the gas inside .... be prepared to possible carb rebuild and fuel lines may need to be changed asap

If you can work on 2 stroke outboards,you have very little to learn.Still some,but its all here.

Drained the blue oil from tank. Gas tank bone dry gas and oil lines look good. Will be replacing inline oil filter . Removed gas filter cleaned and replaced.
Battery full charged and waiting to go. Tomorrow will pickup in line oil filter some 2 cycle oil and fuel.
If time allows I will try and crank it.
I was able to turn shaft by hand so not seized.
Checked electric connections all look good.

Anyone with advice before I try to turn her over:eek:

Mercury QuickSilver 2 cycle PWC (for Personal WaterCraft) at Walmart works great in my '94's. Not sure I know the diff between it and the Merc Outboard oil, but the guys here who know say only use PWC labeled oil. Plain 2-cycle oil is for AIR COOLED ENGINES ONLY. Lotsa luck with your project.

update bought Qt seadoo oil. put 2 gallons fuel tried to prime fuel lines ??? dropped fuel into cyclinders and carb, it started up and stalled. did this several times trying to get fuel to carb. can not get fuel to carbs will be taking carb off for a cleaning or a rebuild. anyone no where to get rebuild kit for carb.:spam::spam:

id talk to my local marine store about ordering a kit. never had to personally so I myself wouldn't know. but just a quick question. do u have the kill/tether switch. i've heard of plenty people trying to start an old ski like this without luck but they don't have the kill switch plugged on.

Hey Lost, happy dayafterturkeyday. I am also new to PWC wrenching and and also new to Jetski's. I was also looking for info on Carb Kits in July. Try using the Search function on this forum and you will find some good sites listed by some of the Site Elders here. I did what Junior suggested and found some stores that handled SeaDoo Parts and Labor in my area. Found one that uses the same pricing as SeaDoo Warehouse (on this site) and they do a good job of helping out newbies like me with advice for my questions. From MANY years of rebuilding many different types of carburetors, I can't stress enough-BUY ONLY OEM PARTS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

If your ski is firing up and starting even for a short period when you prime it with gas and oil, your electronics are probably good enough to get it to start. It sounds like from your descriptions your main problem is fuel delivery. I think you are probably on the right track with the carb kits. Also check your fuel lines, fuel switch, and fuel filters. I would recommend that you premix some oil with your gas until you get the ski running and are sure the oil injection pump is working correctly.

Again, Lotsa Luck and you can find anything you need or want to know right here on this forum if you just ask. POPS

thanks

anyone have an idea on how to prime fuel system without diconnecting all hoses. Or should i just keep cranking hoping fuel pump will draw the fuel to carbs

starting fluid in the plugs? if it turns over and starts up, the engine will draw fuel right? your battery is fully charged too right? the new one i bought this year died shortly after i gave it a good initial charge, had to recharge it again later and it fires up fine.

update bought Qt seadoo oil. put 2 gallons fuel tried to prime fuel lines ??? dropped fuel into cyclinders and carb, it started up and stalled. did this several times trying to get fuel to carb. can not get fuel to carbs will be taking carb off for a cleaning or a rebuild. anyone no where to get rebuild kit for carb.:spam::spam:

also you might need more than two gallons of fuel also.. these seadoo tanks are like almost 10 gallons big. i would atleast fill it half way. personally

ok inally had sometime this morning pulled the carb and found rust inside the fuel side. all screws need to be tapped and removd with easy out. looking for rebuild kit or possible used carb. removed pump side and need to replace filter any ideas.

If I was going to restore a ski that old I would start with a compression test. If the motor is shot or getting low I would most likely sell/part it out and find a nice cheap 717 or 787 X4 on CL that needs a little work. If the motor is healthy then I would definitely put a couple hundred in it fixing it up. I picked up a great condition 96' SPX that just needs a new top end for $250 this fall. Its a much better platform to build on and will have a greater resell value if you decide to sell it. IMO, there's no reason to dump the time and money into a pre X4 two seater unless you just like the older ones. I'm actually getting ready to sell my 92 SP that I've had for about 12 years to fund the SPX project. It sat for 3 years and then it blew a ring that summer. It was on its last leg before it was left to sit though. We beat it to hell every year and never had a single problem out of it :hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back