'92 GTS Electrical Issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandy34

I have a weird one on my hands.

Working on a ski for a guy, needed a motor. Swapped in the new motor, went to start - nothing. So far I have 1) pulled the starter and tested it. Turns out it was grounding itself. Swapped in a new one. - nothing. 2) Swapped in a new solenoid, wasn't getting power across the solenoid. Swapped the solenoid AND the computer from a known good ski. Now getting power across the solenoid. - still won't crank. 3) Able to jump the solenoid directly and get the motor to crank now. When I try to start it will the lanyard on & button; the ski clicks and then nothing. Power getting sent across the solenoid, but no power getting to the starter. 4) Thought it could be a dead cell in the battery, swapped it for a known good one & same thing happens. 5) Cleaned up the terminals on both the battery and starter sides of the cables as well as the solenoid ends.

After all this, I still just get the dreadful click with nothing happening. Anyone have any ideas? Only thing I can think of is that the positive starter cable burnt up from the starter grounding itself.

Also - motor free as a bird, yes it spins by hand.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I have fought with this damn thing all day.

Thank you guys,
Jake

Power = 12 volts. Lights test light
Amperage = starter crank
If contacts inside solenoid are bad..burnt they will carry voltage and light test light, but not crank (amps.) It cranks when you jump solenoid ?

Correct.
Start button = click & light ON for starter side of solenoid but no power to starter.
Jumping solenoid = cranks.

Old solenoid jumpered cranked the engine. New solenoid jumpered cranks the engine. Both do not react. to the start button other than the click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back