91 Seadoo SPI Weak Spark

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koenig

I believe the spark is weak in my 91 SPI (580).... Main problem... go for a ride ,maybe a minute, maybe an hour, slow down to an idle, stalls out, won't restart. Lots of fuel, plugs are wet from trying to start, vapour in the air & nose! Can't really see a spark when plugs are pulled & grounded.... reload on trailer and start investigating in garage. When plugs are pulled a SMALL blue spark can be seen/small gap. What's funny is I tried to short myself between the high tension plug wires and block, only to recieve a small buzzing sensation! Don't these CDI units produce a 'knockout' hit? Have cleaned all grounds, new plugs, disconnected/reconnected over-rev limiter(no change). Finally pulled a coil from my snowmobile.... same small, small, blue spark????
What else can I check/verify? Please, this is not a fuel problem. I know what you're thinking... blue spark, hey... not your problem.... but why would the energy produced at the plug wire not place me 6 feet in the air? BTW... same systoms either spark plug. And again... blue, not yellow!
all thoughts welcome...
best,
Sandy

Could have wrong *plugs, gap incorrect, or burnt wire. Pull cap z and clip 1/4" off
plug wires, or more if burnt badly, but ya only got so much reach. Your Shop Manual
will help you.

Thanks for your reply Bill. I had thought of trimming the wire ends but when trying the snowmobile coil&wires and seeing the same 'weak' spark, I decided it wouldn't be the problem. Maybe I'll trim em back anyway! I have a generic manual for the early Nineties Seadoo, covers most, but suggests to have a SEADOO Test machine for alot of the electrical. I have a garbage ohm tester up here at the cottage(good one is in the city)... always is in the 'other' place! LOL!
best,
Sandy

Anyone else have an idea???? Could someone answer this..... Would I not get a good jolt by placing my hand between the high tension wire and ground while turning it over? I can't understand the faint blue spark I'm getting... but when I 'redneck' test it, all I will get is a small buzz....!
Where to look/check???
Am I chasing up the wrong tree???
best,
Sandy

Last edited by a moderator:
MPEM...? HUH???? This is a 91 SPI 580. There's no BRAIN in this Seadoo that I know of...
best,
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back