'91 GT Hard Starting

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Musicmanjer

Hey All,

I am having difficulty getting fuel to the carbs on this ski. After a carb rebuild (dual), last year I could get the ski to run fine, after a few cranks. On non starting days I shot a bit of carb cleaner into the carb and got the engine to fire and pump fuel. If it sat for longer than a week or so, it wouldn't start. I have a 95 GTX with no issues with starting as I rebuilt the carbs on that one and rebuilt the engine as well. I have rebuilt the carbs on the GT, replaced the fuel lines, cleaned out the tank filter and the tank selector valve. I added a secondary clear fuel filter in the engine compartment to view the fuel flow. After much cranking I do see fuel in the filter, but when removing the spark plugs, no fuel is present. Is it possible I'm not getting enough vacuum from the engine to make the diaphragm in the carb pump? What if I added an electric low pressure in-line fuel pump, would that correct this issue? Any advice would be great! Blessings JN:3-16

If the carbs are working... then you don't need an external pump. That's just a bandaid for a problem. (fix the problem)

1) If your compression is low... you may not get a good pulse. (Check compression)
2) If this problem started after the rebuild... then you probably missed something. They need to come back apart.
3) Did you use an aftermarket kit, or was it genuine Minkuni parts? We have had a bunch of issues with the aftermarket kits. (Windrosa is the worst)
4) Did you have the stock fuel filter apart? Did you replace the O-ring in it? If you get a leak there... it's hard for the engien to draw fuel at cranking speed.

Check over that stuff, and let us know what you find.

Thank you for your advice:
1) Its possible something was missed in the carbs, but I have done several of these rebuilds. i will double check.
2) Non-Mikuni kits were used. Didnt know aftermarket kits had issues.
3) New O-ring was used in fuel filter. Air is lighter than fuel, so it will suck that before it sucks fuel. I will however double check that-
4) I'll check compression, however engine is producing good power and not producing any blow by.

Have a great day and this is good fuel for thought (no pun intended!)

Hey Tony,

I Found that the one-way fuel filter valve in the gas tank was sticking intermittently, causing the fuel blockage and thus no fuel to the carbs. That was a tough find!! Its been replaced and the ski is running well now.
Thanks!
Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back