89 sp carb help please!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

riverfox

I have a 89 sp that has been sitting around for a while. Ran great when last put away. I don't know much about it. My list of things to do are fuel filter/oil filter, fuel pump, carb rebuild, new gas/oil lines, flush gas tank,spark plugs.

Is there anything else I'm missing that should be done? Is there crank oil or any oil res to change? Or is it only lubercated from the 2t oil?
Also what carb do I have?? Looking for type and stock settings, along with a rebuild kit.
Thank you

Attachments

• 15609667180371538748102658549033.jpg
    15609667180371538748102658549033.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 15609667370441917240529393266981.jpg
    15609667370441917240529393266981.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 15609667551986316207824085045725.jpg
    15609667551986316207824085045725.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
You should inspect the wear ring in the pump and change the oil there while you’re at it. The carb on that motor is the round body BN-38 and the stock setting is 1-3/4 out from closed. I’d go to OSD parts for a rebuild kit.

Is there an aftermarket oil for the cone inside the pump or do you recommend just getting the seadoo oil?

So that confirms that there is no crank oil or anything in the motor?

And that stock setting is for the t handle screw?I think there is only one on this carb?

I use a synthetic 75W-90 gear oil in mine. You can use the Sea Doo stuff if it’s handy, but I don’t think you have to.

No, there is no other oil in the 587.

Yes, there is only one adjustment screw on that carb.

Do you know anything about the oil injection system? Is there a rebuild or cleaning?

How long should the oil tank last compared to gas tanks? I want to make sure that the ski is using the appropriate amount of oil.

I’m not real familiar with the 587 skis, but there should be a 3/32 tygon line going from the pump to the manifold under the carb. You should replace that line and make sure you’ve got the correct API-TC oil in the tank, but they are fairly trouble free. You’ll use far less oil than you think, especially if you’re not full throttle all the time. The oil tank should last quite a few tanks of gas.

The tygon line referring to is a hardened line like a brake line or fuel line? any suggestions on where to try to find one?
and from what I remember it was for tanks of gas to one tank of oil roughly but lately I think I've been using a lot more gas to oil.
or if you know or have any thread saved that might link me to more info that would be greatly appreciated!

Tygon is a clear flexible tubing that’s normally used as fuel line for small engines. You can pick it up in some of home improvement stores, or hobby shops that deal with remote control cars and airplanes.

The oil injection system operates at a variable rate, so it pumps almost no oil at idle, and then ramps up as the throttle is increased. There is no magic ratio as far as gas to oil usage, because it’s somewhere around 100:1 at low throttle positions and probably 40:1 at WOT. It really depends on how you ride it. If the throttle is pinned to the bars the whole time, you’ll burn through oil a lot faster than if you’re just cruising around the lake.

Should I remove the oil pump to replace those lines? They have some funny clamps on them that seem permanent. The motor is in the ski still because I have no idea how to align it.

No, just cut the clamps off with a pain of pliers and replace the lines with everything still in place. This is not a high pressure line, so you can use some small zip ties to clamp the new lines on.

I purchased the clamps along with the hose should I just use zipties in place and take them back?

Last edited:
No, use the clamps if you have them. You won’t need to bleed the lines, just start the ski up and let it idle. While it’s running, reach in with your hand and move the pump lever arm to the full open position and you’ll see the lines fill with oil fairly quickly .

Last edited:
I don't know so I don't feel like I should be questioning you but are you sure that's a bn38?
The carb kit for starters they wanted to give me was a super bn38 which had a bunch of square gaskets which was not right and the bn38 rebuild kit that I got looks like it has a lot more than this carb does

Yes, yours is the "Round Body" BN.
The SBN is the Super BN known as the "Square Body".

Two different carbs.

I’m by no means an “expert,” so question away if something doesn’t seem right. I’ve just been helped tremendously by the forum and try to give back where I can. If you called a dealer to order the kit, it doesn’t surprise me that they gave you the wrong info. The Mikuni naming convention is confusing in that transition period where they switched from the round body to the square body, and the dealer probably doesn’t see many of the older skis anymore. Fairly minor service work is usually as much as the ski is worth at this point, so they’re being relegated to the DIYers and rarely see a dealer.

Also should this carb have a main jet? The diagram shows that having two needles if not three needles I pulled a main jet from the fuel nipple side which would feed the little awkward oval shaped gasket and filter area

Attachments

• 15611683744745098958130178582946.jpg
    15611683744745098958130178582946.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back