787 engine troubles

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hivoltage98

Premium Member
Premium Member
Bad thing happened today, engine died. Not sure what it was.
Backstory- a few weeks ago I noticed the rave valve adjustment knob sticking up and the rave valve pistons had melted. So I replaced the rave valves (they were broke), in their entirety and used aluminum pistons from sea halt. I had spare rave valves from an extra set I had and they were in good condition. All other parts were new. Checked compression on engine and it was at 150. My mpem has also died so I rewired the boat to work on msd enhancers. Left at factory settings.
Had her out on the water and she was like a new boat. Ran beautiful. Yesterday on the way home the starboard engine was acting weird dropping in rpm’s. But if I pushed on the throttle she’d jump right back again. I wrote it off as possibly water in the gas.... checked the engine compartment and the replacement rave caps are not as good as the oem, the tab that keeps the rave adjustment screw tight didn’t hold the screw tight so I had to play with them till they held the way they should. today she ran fine, coming home from our trip she was fine, then started losing rpms as we neared the Dock. Then the engine stopped. It wouldn’t fire up again out on the water. We got home and it got worse when I tried to flush the engine it started for a few seconds then abruptly stopped. No bang or nothing. Now the starter wouldn’t turn it over.
So I pulled the plugs and tried to crank her. It sounded horrible. I did notice one of the plugs was no longer gapped and against the electrode.
Possibly a rave valve broke and grenaded the engine?

Here’s video:

So if this engines a goner, what are the best brand parts to buy so I don’t have to waste time and money on cheap crap parts?

I’ll be pulling the rave valves and probably pulling the head to see what’s damaged when I get home on Sunday.

What ya guys think? Looks like the edge of the piston broke off and killed it.

a98ff786b9b2d93fd00b7156c7d1f18a.jpg
c91c1069c313958d441bfd6955d6f438.jpg
76550fed8be31d8ed1a5b4c20ed94e45.jpg

Makes me feel good to know i'm not the only one who breaks those bolts off. Reminds me i need to get a good drill bit set for stainless

Pretty rare that a piston will just disintegrate on its own; usually it's helped along. That cylinder looks to have been running a lot richer than the other side if you look at the head, but then the piston is very lean looking. It's hard to tell from the cylinder if the damage there was caused by the piston or by a partial seize. I suspect the latter. My guess is the ring seize caused the piston edge to break off, which caused the other damage. All because of a lean condition. :( At least the other side looks good!

The broken ring and piston were the result, not the cause of the failure. I would suspect dirty fuel system or carbs.

Carbs were rebuilt last season, brand new filters 6 hours before that, I always use non ethanol gas to keep her in tip top shape. I also replaced the oil filters and bled the lines so no air bubbles were in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back