787 Carb

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

S_eadoo

I need expert advice on the condition of these carbs. I do not know if what I am looking at is normal. Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 54
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 52
The photo is not the best but both gaskets are a milky color. I do not know if this is normal or if I need to rebuild the carbs.

I've seen worse. BUT... it's normal to see oil behind the pump diaphragm. It get's in there via the pulse hose.

Thanks for the reply. I am having a hard time getting it to crank. It had been sitting up a long time befire I got it. I am guessing a year or so. I have gotten it to start, run and idle. It is just taking a long time to get it to fire. I have been reading and have gotten a lot of advice. I have replaced the central fuel line and am working on the others. I am buying a battery today to eliminate that issue. The battery I have seems to go down fast when it does not want to start. It has a good intital charge, turns over fine but when it does not hit it runs down fast. I know the experts recommend rebuildign the carbs. I just hate to do that if it is not the reason it is not starting. That is why I posted the pictures. I read today that if the battery is not putting out 10.6 it wil not start. Could it be turning over and still not meet the 10.6? If the voltage was low and it still turned over why would it not hit. What else is effected by the low battery voltage?

I am not sure if I have a battery problem or a fuel issue. I will replace the battery today and then move back to fuel if necessary. I am a little intimidated by the carbs although I want to learn to rebuild them because I am sure they are due for service.

Thanks for your help Dr.

It this is normal should I attempt to clean them out or will I ruin the gasket taking it off. In the second photo there is a lot of buildup. Almost half of it is covered with milky oil.

What do the carb. filters look like? They are located behind the second block on the fuel inlet side. Personally not knowing the ski I would go ahead a rebuild the carbs. Use genuine Mikuni kits. If you're uncomfortable rebuilding them yourself PM Dr Honda or minnetonka4me and see if they will do it.

Lou

I removed the second block but not sure how to remove the filter. I am not sure what it looks like and did not want to damage anything.

I planned on buying a battery at Wally World today. I noticed in the manual the specs are 12V 19A.h. How do I know if I am getting the right battery. WM is limited. They have one marked 16C. I am not sure if that is the correct one or not. It is the same size and I do not know if that makes a difference.

the a walmart everstart -- i mean neverstart, is not a fan favorite here at all, check out batteries plus, i use an oddessy, much better than a neverstart

:agree: I also got my last battery at batteries plus, it's a size 16L, agm, gel pack, 320cca, if you get it at batteries plus, check their website there was a 20% off coupon.

The carb. filters are about half the size of a pencil eraser, just pop the out with your finger nail. Clean them with Castrol super clean or purple power, or soap and water, do not use carb. cleaner.

Lou

I had Neverstart batteries for 2 years. 50% of the time we would want to take the skis for a spin at least one of them wouldnt start. Spend the extra $30 on a sealed agm battery and save yourself tons of headaches. Not to mention not having to fight with those damn floating nuts.

those battery nuts are the worst damn thing in the entire world of jet skis. what F'N moron though they were a good idea?! at least the newer batteries have larger nuts that actually hold in place for more than 1 second. where the bolt can grab them.

those battery nuts are the worst damn thing in the entire world of jet skis. what F'N moron though they were a good idea?! at least the newer batteries have larger nuts that actually hold in place for more than 1 second. where the bolt can grab them.

I probably got a dozen of those f'n nuts floating around in the bottom of my hull if ya ever need one:)

don't worry Lou, I had my floating nuts checked out by ole Doc Johnson. He said as long as I wear tighty whities I should be good, but If I switch to boxers all bets are off.

:agree: I also got my last battery at batteries plus, it's a size 16L, agm, gel pack, 320cca, if you get it at batteries plus, check their website there was a 20% off coupon.

The carb. filters are about half the size of a pencil eraser, just pop the out with your finger nail. Clean them with Castrol super clean or purple power, or soap and water, do not use carb. cleaner.

Lou

I did locate the carb filter and it looked good. I was not able to get a battery today but will get one tomorrow. I am counting on it being a battery issue. I will keep you posted.

Here is an update. I bought a new battery and completely ran it down attempting to start it. I finished replacing all of the fuel lines. I checked the carb filters and they looked good. I primed the primary fuel line and within seconds it started up and cranked every time. I am going to hold off on the carb rebuild for now. I took it to the water to test it. It idled fine. At about 2500 rpms it seemed to have a miss or an occasional sputter. I am not sure if that is normal. I ran it up to max rpm and it performed fine.

Should I be concerned about the miss at low rpm. I am guessing that it is more difficult to hear at high rpm. What is the likely cause and what should I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back