717 oil pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

motoring

does the arm on the oil pump return on its own with the power of the spring or does the motor have to be running ?
I bought a gti 1996 with the 717 motor and noticed that the oil pump arm didn't return to the almost closed position or the idle position (I seen the cable was also stuck like bunched up lol ) it stayed wide open so I just got a pump from ebay and the same deal the arm sticks so I wonder does the motor need to be running and does the return power come partially from the motor running . do I need to wind the spring some ?????
or would this mean the pump is bad

No the engine does not have to be running should return by spring. You will have to wind spring some the oil pump works as throttle is pushed and then returns.

No the engine does not have to be running should return by spring. You will have to wind spring some the oil pump works as throttle is pushed and then returns.

thanks !!!! the spring must spin a bit when pump removed. I see theres a diaphragm in it I guess ill buy a rebuild for it . and ill do I good test of pump as per manual. how to measure 1.24 - 1.51 ml each port in 30 seconds at 1500 rpm I don't have some thing that small lol I guess run drill at 1500 rpm for 5 minutes etc etc or just throw out pump lol

Do not take the pump apart or rebuild it.

The arm will flop to wide open when the cable is removed. If I remember correctly you just turn the arm counter clockwise to catch the spring and put some tension on it. To not do full turns of the arm to get a lot of tension on the spring. Once the "hook" on the spring catches the arm there will be enough tension on it once the cable is adjusted correctly.

Do not take the pump apart or rebuild it.

The arm will flop to wide open when the cable is removed. If I remember correctly you just turn the arm counter clockwise to catch the spring and put some tension on it. To not do full turns of the arm to get a lot of tension on the spring. Once the "hook" on the spring catches the arm there will be enough tension on it once the cable is adjusted correctly.

Ill check the cable but with the pump sitting all alone on the table as I found it in the ski the arm isn't closed its stuck wide open if I spin the spring not the arm to get a tension on the arm to close it in thinking it would be okay but I need to see How the cable work I believe it only pulls the arm to wide open and it close on spring power only . which it won't do unless I wind the spring if possible if not possible then ill have a second pump that stays basically almost full open at idle . so I don't know if pump is bad or the spring or simply the spring spun some how whendr pump was removed from motor. Being I have two pumps I took one apart to see how it works and found that on the bottom there's a rubber diaphragm and a little metal rod that pushes on the diaphragm which I would think can puncture a hole in the diaphragm if there's enough hours on pump. It could simply be a gasket make out of a diaphragm material and if only a gasket why have a rod pushing on it ?? I have to check the marks on the pump the guy I bought the ski from probably put the cable wrong that sounds like the best answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back