717 engine ...1998 speedster...oil pumps removed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanpan25

Hello it has been awhile, just like Micheal Corleone I keep getting sucked back in!

This time I bought a 1997 speedster...twin 717 single carb. One motor was in a box.... I thought they lost the oil pump! Turns out someone blanked off the oil pump hole and removed it....both motors.

So the question I seek input on is.... should I Mix the gas and hook the tank to recycle the oil for the mythical bronze gear....or search for the fixings to restore the oil injection systems to both engines?

New parts make the "deal" not nearly attractive as once thought.

Thank you for your input

Bill in Lees Summit Mo

My personal opinion is to find a couple oil pumps and set it back up for injection. It seems to me that fuel efficiency is considerably higher, in my opinion, with injection over pre-mix.

Well........... I launched the boat Sunday. The engine re builder suggested I go premix, ty for your opinion, but went with his choice for warranty. The boat runs great! How ever I did learn a few things. I didn't realize the steering was tied to the throttle, I was rather alarmed, when this happened. What was alarming was one direction worked turning the other direction didn't. Neat feature however instead of replacing the cable, I disconnected them both. The kids have been boating for 10+ years and understand how to drive a boat so feel fairly confident this will be okay.

The engine rebuilder suggested Klotz Techniplate Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil - R-50 . He also said to add this to the oil tank to keep the bronze gear bathed... This oil seams thicker viscosity than the "mineral oil" the 717 uses. Is there any premixers out there? What oil regiment do you use?

I was quite impressed with the performance of this little stump jumper! I had a challenger with a 787 single engine it was not near as much fun.

Well, your mechanic is wrong!.
R-50 is a full on race oil and does not have much in the way of corrosion inhibitors, especially important in a marine environment. If you were doing full throttle for hours endurance racing then it would be fine but not for your boat. Check their data sheet yourself as it is only for Racing 10K+ RPM.

I run Klotz in all my stuff but not seadoo's as it is not rated for seadoo's and especially your rotary gear. I run Klotz Ski Craft in my Yamaha but again, this is not rated for Seadoo's.

Use the correct oil, this isn't rocket science! Any API-TC rated oil will work in your boat, Seadoo, Lucas, Amsoil all have API-TC oil.

Also thank your mechanic for selling a ton of oil because you are going to be buying a lot especially premixing in a boat. You are going to have to mix at 40:1 and since you are premixing it is always at 40:1 at idle to wide open throttle. THe stock system works really well and is reliable despite what some "mechanics" might tell you. The stock system is way more efficient too since it adjusts with throttle position from over 100:1 at idle all the way to about 32:1 at WOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back