RESTO $60.00 1994 gtx

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the jet boat so much, I had to buy it.

Found this ski on craigslist. It had a clean title and hadn't seen water since 2004. I reached in and grabbed the pto and spun the engine. It had great compression, and didn't grind when spun around. That sold me.

This is what it looked like:
108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

It was pretty nasty when I got it. The seat vinyl, hand grips, and traction mats will all be replaced. I think I can get new graphics to replace the faded ones. I am also going to paint the front cowl black and have a black and purple seat vinyl made up. They are fairly cheap, and there are several companies that make them. New foam is also needed. The seat will be the last thing I do.

This is what the inside looked like when I picked it up. Clean as new! This is under the front cowl, where the storage bin goes.

111.jpg

Engine was very clean and no leaks in any lines.

112.jpg

The very first thing I did, was throw my spare battery in it and pull the spark plugs and ground the wires for a compression test. I was pleasantly surprised with a 160 psi reading on both cylinders. This was on a cold engine. It was still on the truck. I wanted to check that first before I did anything or spent any more money. With that good compression, I could proceed with the clean up.

113.jpg

114.jpg

Before
115.jpg

After
116.jpg

More before

117.jpg

More after

118.jpg

I replaced all the fuel lines. Cleaned the gas tank with soap and water, on the inside, cleaned the fuel selector valve and filter. The old fuel had turned to varnish, and the old fuel line deteriorated and settled in the fuel shut off valve. I also pulled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning. More on that in a bit.

After all that cleaning, and replacing lines and plugs, I poured some premix in the tank, couple squirts in the plug holes and carbs, and hit the button. Started up with a big cloud of smoke. I thought 'HELL YEAH!' Of course, it died a couple of times till the fuel from the tank filled the system. I hooked up a hose to cool the engine while I was going to set the idle. Started it up, water flowing, then i checked for fuel leaks. It appears that the pto side carb started leaking out the diaphragm vent hole. I figured that 10 years of sitting would be tough on something, and it was too much for the soft parts in the carbs. I have them pulled off now, and the rebuild kits are on the counter. That's on the to do list this week.

I believe the reason this ski was parked was due to the wear ring. It has quite the gap between the impeller and the ring. Have one of those on the way as well. I don't have pictures of the pump, but will have when I pull the impeller and ring.

Due to the home owner's association, I can't park on the side of the house, and the back yard has very limited access. So.......this is how I store it for now:

119.jpg

I will update this as I go.

I was gonna say, I think the only thing that was clean was the title, LOL. Not looking too bad so far.

It's going pretty good. I have an intake gasket kit on the way also. The 657 engine is a bear to pull the carbs. It's best to pull the rv cover with the pump and carbs all at once.

It's going pretty good. I have an intake gasket kit on the way also. The 657 engine is a bear to pull the carbs. It's best to pull the rv cover with the pump and carbs all at once.

Agreed. The good thing is you can mount the carbs on the bench making sure they are installed correctly before installing on the ski.

I would change out the lift straps, to legit lifting straps. Over the years, I've had the ratchets fail... and the webs rip on tie-downs. I'm sure the weight of that ski is taking them to their limits. I would hate to see the boat get crushed because of the failure of a $10 strap.

Regardless... Nice work

Nice work, that thing looks great.
Double check the ON/OFF valve for air leaks. Typically when they are that old they will leak air.

I was going to fab up some brackets to hang it on. I agree on the straps, plus I don't like the way the press on the rub rail. I can't see paying 200 for something that I can make for a little bit of labor and 20.00 in material. That's just a temporary fix for now.

Regarding the shut off valve. I cleaned it out really good and did test it with compressed air while cleaning it out. Good call. If I have time tonight, I will get the carbs pulled apart and cleaned. Not sure if I will get them reassembled or not. Need to look up pop off pressure while they soak.

My wear ring should be in today as well. Might tackle that this weekend once I get the carbs and rv cover back on. I had to re time the rotorary valve. I thought I had it in place, but I was wrong. Took me about 5 minutes to set it. Funny thing is, when I had the timing wheel set, there was a scribe mark marking the correct position of the valve. The paint was still on the bolts, so I have to assume it was a factory mark. It's perfect with the angle of the valve.

From what I have seen while working on this thing, it appears to be a low hours ski. I think it was stored inside by the original owner and the guy I got it from stored it in his back yard. He said he's had it for about a year. There wasn't anything inside the hull, and all the rubber straps were still installed. Even the battery straps were in the storage bin.

I have a buddy that owns a ski shop, and he has a few old skis in his shop he said I could check out for parts. I even tested the fuel/ooil guage and it actually works. It doesn't have a tach. Might see about a tiny tach for tuning.

I knocked the dried up rubber off with a light wet sanding with 500 grit sandpaper. After that, I used 000 steel wool. Then I used some meguires ultra compound to buff it to what you see. That's on the rub rail only.

On the hull, I first scrubbed it with purple power. That knocked all the grime off. Then for the rust stains in the foot wells, I used muratic acid at a 50/50 mix. I only mixed up a cup full. Took every bit of the rust off.

For the oxidation on the hull, I used 1500 grit wet sand sandpaper followed by 3000 grit wet sanding. Then my favorite meguires ultra compound to buff it shiny. Took a couple of weekends to do. I still need to do the underside and a couple of gelcoat repairs.

Once the engine work is done, and I paint the cowl, I'll detail the whole thing.

Still not sure on graphics. Those faded ones are coming off.

This is cool, I have a soft spot for the older 3 seaters. If I found a deal like that I would be tempted to make it mechanically sound but leave it looking rough just to trick people lol.

I still want to try to shoehorn a 787 or 951 in a early 96 gts...

Wow, I thought mine were rough. Those decals are toast. Great find tho, you're gonna love this thing! Keep the pics coming I want to see what you do with graphics.

You said you also timed the rotary valve and it took 5 min. What was the actual process? (I may have to do this to my hx[emoji17])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at this thread again and shaking my head. These things are indestructible. I have two 94GTX's that I resurrected from the dead and I am amazed at the durability these things have. Just amazing. ROTAX all the way!!! Have fun with it!!! I have fun just telling the stories of my two. And riding them is a blast. We pull the kids on tubes with ours and they do awesome, great pulling power. Couldn't be happier with mine.

I just finished the carbs last night. I don't have any pictures except for a couple. I'll post them tonight. I cleaned them once already, and then tried them. That's why I have them back off, the diaphragm started leaking. It did have a hole in it. The o ring around the needles were starting to dry rot also. So it was time.

Here's one of the whole assembly
204.jpg

You can see some stains on the mag side intake runner. When I first cleaned the carbs and got it running, the idle was too high, and I almost had a run away situation. I shut it down before it got crazy. That's also when I discovered the fuel leaks on the diaphragm. The base gasket was still intact, but I think it was still leaking from the evidence of the stain.

Got the gaskets for the intake today. I wanted to make sure that the oil pump was clean and working. When I had the engine started, just for 5 minutes total combined, I never did see the oil moving in the little lines.

I decided to take the pump apart and clean it all out. Both of the small brass nipple had some gummy gunk in them. The piston moved nicely. Looks like just a lack of running caused the build up.

For the sake of future searches. ..to prime a 657 oil pump, I filled the supply line with some blue oil I had, quicksilver I think, and hooked the drill to the pump with a socket. Run the drill in REVERSE, and if all is good, you will see the oil fill the small lines.

Everything is ready to put back together, and if all goes well, I should have this thing running by Saturday afternoon. I still need to replace the wear ring and fix the choke cable.
Then it's all cosmetics.

That's a whole new ballgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back