587 to ? engine swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

arlen2

I'm thinking of swapping my stock 587 engine for a more powerful one in my 1992 SP. What engines do you recommend and why?

You are really better off upgrading to the newer version of that ski with the X4 hull.

If you have to keep it then a 720 but you will need the electronics, exhaust and carbs to go with it.
In all honesty it isn't really worth it.

Honestly you can find a decent running 95XP with the 720 or 96XP with the 787 for less money than it would take to do the swap...

I happen to own a ‘95 XP, but I don’t like the way it handles. At mid speed it wobbles back-and-forth. I prefer the handling characteristics of the ‘92 SP hull. It’s much easier to spin out. It would be nice if it had more power though.

Do the 717 swap. That old hull with the additional horsepower will be one of the most fun things you'll ever ride. Sketchy as hell.

You wouldn't just need a 717 but possibly a 717 powered donor ski or the project could nickel and dime you. The 587 bedplate does not fit but you can stretch out 2 of the holes and get it on a 717. Your 587 exhaust manifold will bolt up but the ports are smaller so you will want one from a 717, same with the exhaust get one from a 657X or 717. The rear riser hose and exhaust outlet in the 92 are smaller then the 717 is used to but others have kept that part and been OK.

The electrics will play ball but your going to have to run an impeller that is pitched for the 717. With 30 more HP the 587 prop will top out and hit the rev limiter right away. The studs that hold the pump are shorter on that 92 hull so you could install a different impeller in your aluminum pump or upgrade. It can be hard to run the newer plastic pumps but I've done it by just skipping the washers and catching a thread with the nuts. You could also shave a little plastic off the ears of the pump.

Obviously you will need the intake manifold, RV and carb/carbs from a 717. The throttle and choke cables might be different. There will not be room for the stock 717 airbox in that hull so you can try to adapt the one from the 587 or use aftermarket filters. Sometimes the seat will need a little plastic trimmed underneath depending on what exhaust you go with. The weight difference is not much maybe 20 lbs. Feels like you lost 220 though with the power increase.

Were all SeaDoo hulls prior to ‘95 the same as my ‘92 SP hull?
Owning both the ‘92 SP and ‘95 XP I personally know the dramatic difference in the way the two hulls handle. The ‘92 SP is much slipperier (and more fun, in my opinion), whereas the ‘95 XP holds a track better (better for racing) and cuts through waves better for less bounce allowing for higher speeds. Did Sea-Doo and all other manufacturers abandon the slipperier type hulls in favor of the X4 type after ’95?

No, in the XP line, the hull changed in ‘93 to one very similar to the X4. It didn’t have the trim tabs, and I believe the strikes are a bit different, but visually the hulls are hard to tell apart if you don’t know the differences...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back