580 motor into 96 xp?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1994 sp that is running good, but the hull has some damage. I recently ended up with 2 old jet skis, one of which is a 1996 xp that is intact except for the motor. The DESS works fine, and it has a new wear ring and impeller from the look of things.

I was thinking of taking my motor from the SP and sticking it in the XP. Is this a dumb idea?

Thanks-
-rj

If the 94 SP engine was 100% then it would only make half of the power that the 96XP came with. If you wanted to do it just to have a running ski to put around on then it would be a tough job. Your biggest problem is the motor mount locations being totally different. If that was solved you would have to swap over the 94 electronics and the 587 impeller.

it would be a lame ski and not worth the labor. Maybe sell the 580 motor and use the proceeds toward a 787. You will absolutely LOVE that ski. Your face will hurt from grinning. This ski is meant for this motor (or stronger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back