4Tec years to avoid?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ne1

Thinking of getting rid of my 2 stroke once I get it in a good running state and moving to a 4 stroke preferably closed loop cooling. Any advice on years to avoid? when the majority of any kinks were out of them etc.

Thanks

2003 to 2007 and early 2008 had ceramic washers in the supercharged units and need to be replaced. 2004 to 2006 also had sodium filled exhaust valve stems and were prone to failure although most of the issues were in the higher HP units . 2008 was a good year and I purposely bought two of that year for this reason. 2009 and 2010 virtually all had iBR failures or issues and should be avoided. 2010 to 2012 (? not 100% sure of end year) all had IS problems that could sink the machine. 2011 had intercooler problems. If you buy supercharger units, additional maintenance costs will be required. This is all gleamed from this website so have a good look around!

I missed out on a nice clean 2008 GTX 155. A local dealer has both a 2006 and 2007 GTX 155 (100 and 170) hours respectively and a 2016 Spark 900 H.O (50 hours) on trailers for basically the same $. $500 difference in price low to high.

Get a brand new one instead! I bought used once and I got myself burned (big time). When you buy use, you also buy past problems. I made the choice of buying a smaller engine in exchange for peace of mind (I hope...).

Benji.

You can’t go wrong with a 2007 or 2008 non-supercharged 155 HP machine. I have been very pleased with mine and haven’t had any significant issue.

I wish I could agree with the 2008 choice but Nay Nay. Our supercharger went out at 20 hours (1 month after warranty). I have it from a good source that the superchargers should be rebuilt every 100 hours or 2 years to stay ahead of problems. It only takes 3 bolts and a couple of hose clamps to remove. Any of these motors without superchargers should be bullet proof and reliable.

All years of 155 are pretty solid. 04 to early 06 valve issue is S/C motors only. Not common but happens. Once an S/C has been rebuilt, the ceramic washers are gone and are now steels.

Biggest single thing to avoid is one listed as 'supercharger just rebuilt, zero hours on new supercharger' etc. If a ceramic charger is rebuilt BEFORE it blows, no harm done period. But usually it's rebuilt after it lets go. It deposits ceramic sand and gravel in the engine. The owner goes to SeaDoo because the SC just went. SeaDoo tells them $1000 to rebuild SC and another $3k-$8k for the motor damage. Owner says 'just do the supercharger' and lists it immediately. You do not want this boat!

Good advice. Mine is a 2011 Rxt . Did it have ceramic washers ? I had it rebuilt by pwc as soon as I bought it . The supercharger was still good. No damage.

I waited all summer and finally picked up a nice 2013 GTI 155 SE. It is an awesome machine ~60 hours on it. Well maintained. Made the wait worth it!! I love it and plenty fast for me.

Unbelievable what some people value these used at around here. Locally there are ones listed that I offered dealer retail type prices on a month ago, that are slowly inching down to the cash price offered for them 4 weeks ago. I'm sorry a 2012 GTR 215 is not worth 12K Canadian. It's 6 model years old, closer to 7 by our season. And, needs a supercharger rebuild within a season or 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back