4-tec Challenger REstart problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boincali

Hello all, thank you in advance for reading this.

My problem is difficult restart after running fine, stopping to enjoy some fishing/swimming, and upon restart the engine turns over fine but restart is difficult, takes multiple attempts before it starts.

This initially happened end of last season on Havasu after running the boat hard with tubers in haul. Stopped the engine to load on tubers load off new tubers and on restart would turn over but not start. After multiple attempts it started, left her running in fear of getting stuck.

Yesterday I dropped he in the water for the first time this season. Ran excellent from one end of Big Bear Lake to the other, tied up to a buoy for about 20 min and when I tried to restart she turned over and over and after multiple (many many) attempts she started and ran fine.

I had changed the oil and spark plugs before this first run. Please let me know what this could be.

Also note that when I changed the spark plugs, plug No.3 had fuel on it, not so with 2 or 1. It was visible and smelled of fuel. The other plugs smelled of fuel but were dry. Could it be that my #3 cylinder is flooding? This restart worries me as it would really suck to get stuck out far somewhere.

Try running the blower for a minute to bring some fresh air into the engine compartment. I've had the same issue and it seems to help.

I have the same issue, was actually on here to update my thread... for me the blower advice didn't do much. I will follow this and see if you come up with anything. I haven't pulled my plugs yet but based on your findings maybe a weak fuel pump and/or dirty filter?

Ever figure out what the problem was?

Hi fellas,

This season has been thin for me and I was only able to put the boat in one time, which I mentioned experienced the problem. I had tied off the boat to a buoy and after approximately 20 minutes, tried to restart and had the problem. Turned over the engine several times. Waited. Tried some more and finally the engine started and all was fine. Turning the engine over seemed (sounded fine) but the engine just would not start at first. Lesson number one, never untie yourself from your buoy until the engine is on. The wind was pushing me closer to rocks and boy was I happy once the engine started. Lesson two - still in the process of learning it. Find the problem before going back out. As soon as I find out I will let you know. I have not had a chance to run the seadoo computer on it but will do so and let you know if any fault codes show up. The only thing I recall from when I swapped the plugs with new ones is that cylinder no. 3 plug look like it was wet on the tip, and smelled like fuel. Was it condensation on the plug? Was it fuel? Not sure. But I may pull that plug again to check on it. Could it be that the injector on that cylinder is going bad, leaking or flooding fuel? Would that be enough to keep the engine from firing up? Not sure. Just thinking out loud. Will dig further and let you know. If you come up with anything please let me know. Thanks.

Sounds like a leaky injector. After the engine is shut off the fuel system still has a lot of pressure in it. An injector can be leaking and flooding that cylinder when it sits. Next time it wont start after sitting try cranking with the throttle at 1/2 or 3/4. Full throttle puts the boat in "drown" mode and it wont start.

Sounds like a leaky injector. After the engine is shut off the fuel system still has a lot of pressure in it. An injector can be leaking and flooding that cylinder when it sits. Next time it wont start after sitting try cranking with the throttle at 1/2 or 3/4. Full throttle puts the boat in "drown" mode and it wont start.
Its a good idea, Is that possible on the boats? I believe it has to be in neutral to crank and when in neutral it locks the throttle at an idle. Maybe a can of seafoam though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had equal issues with one engine. It was a leaking injector which created the problem. I changed them all and the engine started fine again. The injectors are from BOSCH and I paid roughly 40 Euros for one piece. If you purchase these from the Seadoo dealer it costs much more. Check out the number on the injector and ask google. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back