4-tec 2004 155hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor Bell

excessive steam from exhaust when idling and traveling slowly. Otherwise operating normally. Not dropping coolant level. Is this an early symptom of exhaust manifold failure?

Define excessive. Upload a video. What are the conditions ... ambient air temp, humidity? Have you inspected the exhaust manifold?

You can always remove the seat support, back the ski down on the boat ramp, and fire it up. Another option that I have used is to Sea Foam the engine. After the 5 minute time period between finishing the Sea Foam application and starting the engine back up, the Sea Foam emulsifies all the carbon deposits and the ski will smoke like crazy. The smoke makes it easy to find exhaust leaks.

Thanks for the reply mkov608. Air temp 32C..... high humidity, but normormal summer conditions here on the Gold Coast in Australia. Had this ski from new, now 300 plus hours, and not noticed this amount of white smoke before. Replaced the exhaust manifold 5 years back with a second hand unit, as the outlet raw water post corroded away allowing sea water in to the hull. Externally the manifold looks good. I'm thinking a leak from the combustion side of the manifold in to the raw cooling water creating steam out the exhaust. Has anyone had a similar issue?

What do you mean "a leak from the combustion side of the manifold"? Since this is an exhaust manifold, it's only ported to the exhaust valves.

From my understanding, it is normal for combustion gasses to mix with the water that flows through the exhaust manifold. That's why you have to start the engine before you turn on the hose when you flush the ski. For example, if you turn on the hose without the engine running there is no exhaust pressure to keep the water out of the combustion chamber.

When the ski is running, you will (and should) see water coming out of the same port where the exhaust gasses flow.

In a typical car engine (closed loop cooling) when you see a lot of steam or water in the exhaust, folks think the head gasket has failed, but since you don't see a decrease in your coolant level, that should rule out a faulty head gasket. So, where the "steam" or white smoke is coming from. Could it be oil consumption? What does your oil look like?

Lastly, steam (or water vapor) is a byproduct of the combustion process, so if the conditions are right (high humidity and cold temperatures) it is normal to see steam (or small amounts of water) coming out of your tailpipe. Water vapor in the air (humidity) is pulled into the conbustion chamber and comes out of the tailpipe. It's cold here in FL right now, and I see steam coming out of my car exhaust every morning ... steam that I don't see in the summer.

Upload a video clip if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back