4 Long beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SEA-MONSTER

Hello all, I just purchased a 96 XP, when I hooked up a fully charged battery nothing happened, no beeps no gauges no cranking no action. I jumped the solenoid terminals and it cranked strong, I changed both fuses in the rear electrical box (both blown) and the 5 amp fuse in the front box. I inserted the key and got 2, loud beeps and the vts worked! Unfortunately the starter did not work and I got 4, long beeps then dead, so I removed the key then put it back on, again 2 short beeps (good) then 4, long beeps (bad) and all fuses are good (nothing blown) any body know what the 4 long beeps mean?

On the XP... the CDI unit is "Smart" and talks to the MPEM more that just an on/off kind of way. 4 long beeps is that those 2 things aren't talking to each other. I would double check all fuses... AND... I would take all the plugs apart between the two, and make sure they are clean. (may just be a little corrosion)

On the XP... the CDI unit is "Smart" and talks to the MPEM more that just an on/off kind of way. 4 long beeps is that those 2 things aren't talking to each other. I would double check all fuses... AND... I would take all the plugs apart between the two, and make sure they are clean. (may just be a little corrosion)
Thank you for the reply, I went over all connections and installed a new 5 amp fuse, it blew after I got the 2 beeps, then I replaced it with a 7.5 amp fuse, I got the 2 beeps and it cranked & vts worked, but I was getting no spark to the plugs, I went out for a early dinner (fathers day) when I got home the 7.5 amp was blown, is the mpem fried?

I should ad, that I just purchased it last week, hasn't run in about 4 years, I think the rear electrical box got wet, it is in great shape physically, and the motor has 155lbs in each jug

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The MPEM is fragile in these things. If you try to start it with a charger hooked up... it will fry. If you have a bad VTS... it will fry. If your short something simple... it will fry.

Yep... looks like it's in good shape.

I would disconnect the VTS, replace the fuses... and hope for the best.

The MPEM is fragile in these things. If you try to start it with a charger hooked up... it will fry. If you have a bad VTS... it will fry. If your short something simple... it will fry.

Yep... looks like it's in good shape.

I would disconnect the VTS, replace the fuses... and hope for the best.

I found a used cdi for $125.00 and it now cranks and the plugs spark and the 5amp fuse is not blowing any more.....now to go thru the fuel system & carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back