3 skis on a double trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerslave

I have a double trailer, fairly long, long enough to easly put my 95 xp on the front and a portion of the tounge. What I have on their now is a 96 gti and a 2014 stx-15f. I tow with a 2002 ford f150 crew cab with a 5.4. Do you think the xp up front would be a problem?

A couple of things to pay attention to.

GVW: What is the trailer itself rated at?
Tires: See what they are rated at?
Tongue Weight: You will need to move the axle forward to decrease the tongue weight dues to the XP riding basically right over the tongue of the trailer. Tongue weight should be 10% of total weight or 100 pounds maximum.

I will check on those. How do I know the tongue weight to any degree?
A couple of things to pay attention to.

GVW: What is the trailer itself rated at?
Tires: See what they are rated at?
Tongue Weight: You will need to move the axle forward to decrease the tongue weight dues to the XP riding basically right over the tongue of the trailer. Tongue weight should be 10% of total weight or 100 pounds maximum.

Well if it's 100 lbs max, it will be way too much weight then. Have to find an alternative. Thanks for your reply.

Well if it's 100 lbs max, it will be way too much weight then. Have to find an alternative. Thanks for your reply.

You just need to move the axle toward the vehicle to adjust the tongue weight. I have seen many at 150 pounds. At 150 pounds, you will feel it in the ride of the vehicle and will likely burn more fuel as well.

I think your hitch is rated for more than 100lbs. You can throw a camper on there and it will be well over 100 pounds. You just need enough weight on the tongue to stop it from swaying. I think it will be fine as long as the trailer and tires are rated for the load.

Frame hitches are normally rated at 175 to 250 for a class III. Too heavy of a tongue weight and you won't be able to hook them up easily and you will get a rear-vehicle sway as the load transfers left and right as the tongue is pushing down on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frame hitches are normally rated at 175 to 250 for a class III. Too heavy of a tongue weight and you won't be able to hook them up easily and you will get a rear-vehicle sway as the load transfers left and right as the tongue is pushing down on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure, but I think your thinking of a class II, Class III should be around 500 pounds and a class IV is 1000 lbs. My 2000 Siverado came with a class IV. Maybe I'm messed up too... :ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back