3 New to me older ski's - Looking for advice on path to the water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicknwing

So as the title says, I picked up 3 ski's a couple of weeks ago. I will lay out below what I was told about each and what I have observed looking at them. What I am looking for is the path to getting all of them running and back on the water for next season. I have the shop manuals and parts catalogs for all 3. I am not a stranger to working on engines, although I have never worked on a Rotax. I have worked on a few outboards and more car engines than I care to remember.

1997 GTX
Needs a new motor - Engine is apart inside the ski with water standing in the bottom end. Jugs are off and pistons exposed. Likely will need a new core to rebuild. As far as I can see everything is there. I was told the PO sucked sand into the engine and decided to disassemble and rebuild to clear all of the sand. This was a saltwater ski and has not seen the water since 2001 (expiration of the FL registration sticker).

1998 GTX Ltd.
I was told two different things on this ski, one the engine is blown up, two one cylinder is fouling out the plug. again, everything appears to be there. No compression test has been done yet but will get that done asap. Has some scuffs on the bottom of the hull and two pretty deep gouges all the way thru the gel coat and into the glass.

2000 GTI
I was told this ski needs a new mpem, but otherwise runs fine. I discovered the mpem is missing and the wires that run up the hood to the gauge cluster have been cut. Engine appears to be complete. No compression test has been done, but as stated above will get that done asap. I am a bit concerned about this ski being underpowered with the 717 engine in it.

My thoughts - Being that I know nothing about the ski's and one for sure and possibly two need engines, I figured it would be best to start with 3 fresh motors. Who is a reliable builder? SBT, SES, FullBore? What would you do with the 717? swap to a 787? I've read plenty about the hard time people have with the 951's. Is that ski underpowered by the 717? Will be doing recreational riding on a lake near me with an occasional trip to the coast for vacation. I've emailed with a salvage dealer across the country but found one near me who seems to have a decent inventory. I need to check with him for parts as needed.

Just for reference, I picked up all 3 ski's, a double and single trailer, with paperwork for everything for $500. I know I am in the good with just one of the trailers. TIA for reading and for comments.

ETA - the 98 and 00 are fresh water ski's and have been out of the water since 2015.

Wow, that's a tall order to tackle all 3 and have them ready by next season. I purchased a 97' GTX, much like yours, needed a new engine build and so forth. You were like me diving into this, built car engines and so forth, high mechanical ability, etc. Depending how far you want to go you'll have your work and wallet go pretty deep.

You could always do the core swap route, that's the most straight forward approach to getting an engine in order, or do it piece/part at a time and build it yourself, the detail this route may pay dividends later. I used both SBT and Fullbore. Fullbore did a resleeve, and SBT I did the core swap for the balance shaft and crank.

Pay close attention to the fuel system, you'll need to rebuild carbs and replace lines. Expense wise, replacing lines is a good investment, don't skip it. Get clear lines to verify what's going on.

Stick with OEM parts and much as you can, especially carb kits. Pay attention to the Rotary Valve cover, a lot of these old skis they get way out of spec on high hours and cause problems. You can get it machined to bring it back in spec.

Download a service manual, use it like the bible, it has everything in there.
Search the RESTO threads, good build ups on there, you'll find mind under "97' GTX re build and re gelcoat" I also outlined some associated costs under "The real cost of that $200 barn find ski"

You've got a heck of a road ahead, personally one at a time works for me, I'm on the second ski and my goal is next season. I've got a ways to go, but I go down to the bare hull and go through everything....and build it back up to brand new. Not a single scratch on the hull or unpolished bolt on it when I'm done.

Attachments

• P1010187.JPG
    P1010187.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P5060209.JPG
    P5060209.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 17
  • P7010242.JPG
    P7010242.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P6160233.JPG
    P6160233.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P8110255.JPG
    P8110255.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Congrats on the buy, lots of good advice above. Dont cheap out on parts, ie carb rebuilds and fuel lines. Also watch the see threw fuel lines because some are cheap and bend easy. The got stuff is $9 cad/foot or so. Otherwise take your time and make sure you install everything right or else your be ripping it apart again! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back