240EFI ISLANDIA Fuel economy question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeptemberC

This will be my first summer with the Islandia. Although I'm still working on "fine tuning" the engine performance (need to verify correct timing) I was curious if anyone had ever really paid attention to when you got the best fuel economy. The reason I ask is 2 things.... We will be going on vacation to Norris Lake in Tennessee. I'm not familiar with the area. I do know there are several marinas that I will be able to refuel. Getting from point A to point B .... I know that slow speed & high RPM is sucking fuel like crazy and full throttle cruising is also consuming quickly. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a "sweet spot" for fuel economy for getting from A to B...

LOL - Having said all of that I am aware and guilty of saying to others...if you have to ask how much gas a boat is gonna use then you probably can't afford it.

I'm just looking for some advice and experience thoughts.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everybody! ⚓⚓☀️

Full throttle is about 26 GPH on the 240 engine. As I recall... the "Sweet Spot" for the islandia was around 25~27 mph for the best range. (about 1.9 mpg) AND... that should get you about 150 miles on the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that with most boats, the best gas mileage would be the lowest engine rpm's that keep the boat on plane continuously.

So when you find out that you've only been running on 5 cylinders for most of the summer and then you replace the bad coil so that you are now running on all 6 cylinders. . . Your fuel economy is A LOT better! :facepalm:

Yep... I knew your boat was running a little slow. BUT, be thankful that it was a dead coil, and not a dead injector. At least you were keeping that cyl oiled, and cooled.

So when you find out that you've only been running on 5 cylinders for most of the summer and then you replace the bad coil so that you are now running on all 6 cylinders. . . Your fuel economy is A LOT better! :facepalm:

How did you figure out you were down a cylinder? I have always worried about this

I had changed the spark plugs in June. Noticed the RPM's were down. I posted my concern. (Dr Honda suspected low compression on a cylinder but they had all been checked when we put new plugs in. So we kinda ignored BAD ME). I then noticed a very slight hiccup at full throttle. It was suggested that I check plugs... Bingo! One plug looked brand new still. It turned out to be a bad coil pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back