240efi boogs down after 10mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polcat

I have a 2002 seadoo utopia 185 with a 240 EFI merc..
It starts up in Idles great but, Will not go past 10 miles an hour the More gas I gave it the more it bogs down. My throttle cable also seems to go further than normal in forward.. Could it be fuel related or do you think it’s my throttle cable? Thanks

I have a 2002 seadoo utopia 185 with a 240 EFI merc..
It starts up in Idles great but, Will not go past 10 miles an hour the More gas I gave it the more it bogs down. My throttle cable also seems to go further than normal in forward.. Could it be fuel related or do you think it’s my throttle cable? Thanks
I also have videos but is there a way to post them on here?

I was having the exact same issue. Turned out to be a bad wire on the ignition trigger assembly. Reconnected wire and boat is now running great. Check all your wires, they have poor insulation from factory and break over time.

Dealing with the same issue...im dealing with water in gas....i think...haven't tried cutting the black with yellow cable from the lanyard kill swith yet, also been told this could be the issue.

Ok.. thbaks.. i check wires.. my gas is 1-1/2 old, but it did add stable to it.. i also put in a water dissolver to gas this year

Dealing with the same issue...im dealing with water in gas....i think...haven't tried cutting the black with yellow cable from the lanyard kill swith yet, also been told this could be the issue.
Wouldn’t the engine not run at the Killswitch was messed up? Could it be in limp mode do you think? Thanks

Time for a headstand-- look at throttle plates while assistant moves throttle/shifter. Are all 4 opening?

Not sure how your cable could "overtravel". Travel is limited by throttle/shifter.

How about some specifics-- What engine do you have? Flywheel cover- round or square-ish?

What rpm does it start to bog? What is your compression on all 6? Check with all plugs out and at WOT.

How old are your spark plugs?

Last edited:
Time for a headstand-- look at throttle plates while assistant moves throttle/shifter. Are all 4 opening?

Not sure how your cable could "overtravel". Travel is limited by throttle/shifter.

How about some specifics-- What engine do you have? Flywheel cover- round or square-ish?

What rpm does it start to bog? What is your compression on all 6? Check with all plugs out and at WOT.

How old are your spark plugs?
Plugs are brand new, but i didn’t change the fuel filters. I checked all the cable linkages and seem fine.. i dont have a compression tester, but ill buy one.. what should it be?

Attachments

• A0CC665C-AED2-458A-AC4C-658ACD0C2F30.jpeg
    A0CC665C-AED2-458A-AC4C-658ACD0C2F30.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • BFC5F4A0-C148-49C0-9042-EA3154D418E3.jpeg
    BFC5F4A0-C148-49C0-9042-EA3154D418E3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 37
I remember 125 psi minimum. They should be very close to the same. Not saying it won't run on less than ideal numbers.

I remember 125 psi minimum. They should be very close to the same. Not saying it won't run on less than ideal numbers.
Ok thanks.. I have not had a chance to check the numbers yet but I might try disconnecting the Killswitch and see if that works first. How does one go about that do I just cut the wires and spice them together?

I was having the exact same issue. Turned out to be a bad wire on the ignition trigger assembly. Reconnected wire and boat is now running great. Check all your wires, they have poor insulation from factory and break over time.
Where is the ignition trigger? the engine bay or under the helm? Thanks
I wanna try to get it running this weekend

Just took the engine cover off, and the alternator belt is shredded!! Could that be my problem? Didn't think if would run without it. Thanks

Took it out today and I quickly jumped to 30mph at 4200rpm, which is way faster then last time.. bit still bogs down.. i ran it for 39 min then sat at idle for a bit.. then it would not go over 20mph.. i guess next ill try the kill swithh and rev box..

Attachments

• C79DF5C6-324A-437C-BAF7-980BD3402837.jpeg
    C79DF5C6-324A-437C-BAF7-980BD3402837.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
I also checked what I believe is the trigger switch wiring which seems to be in very good shape. Assuming that the trigger switch is right under the flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back