240 Merc M2 Top Speeds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

So just curious- what kind of speeds are you getting out of this engine/pump?

I have a just purchased 2000 Speedster and I seem to be about 50mph by iPhone GPS. No speedo yet, but I'm betting it will read higher. I thought these boats could hit 60??

Maybe time for a pump refresh?

I can hit about 52 indicated on the speedo...but I don't know the real top end since I've never GPS'd it. This is with a full tank, and 4 people on a 205 utopia w/240 Merc.

Mike

Just a word of caution from someone who spent some time checking the top speed.. That merc is a weak motor and you don't want to replace it like I just had to. 5k + for one piston melting.

Those engines have a few problems that can cost big money. Mine was a ring locating pin shoved out and blew the cylinder to shit.

Keep it under 4200rpm and it can last a long time.

Just a word of caution from someone who spent some time checking the top speed.. That merc is a weak motor and you don't want to replace it like I just had to. 5k + for one piston melting.

Those engines have a few problems that can cost big money. Mine was a ring locating pin shoved out and blew the cylinder to shit.

Keep it under 4200rpm and it can last a long time.

Sorry to hear about your loss. But, I dunno, the Merc 240 efi is on, what, 40,000 boats in outboard form? (they have 4,000 dealers).

The ecu controls top rpm and can cut spark or fuel if needed if there's a problem or back off ignition timing if there's detonation. If it's gonna blow up, it's gonna happen with or without you babysitting the rpms.

Now watch my engine blow up tomorrow morning!

I too am very happy with the Merc...No issues and runs great! I am an avid snowmobiler, and after working on Rotax engines in my sled, the Merc is a treat!

As far as speed, I get about 52 mph max...

It's the 240 merc hooked up to a jet drive is the problem. It's very hard the motor to run that jet. They notoriously fail.

It's the 240 merc hooked up to a jet drive is the problem. It's very hard the motor to run that jet. They notoriously fail.

Um, no, actually they don't. I'm sorry you had a bad experience - they do happen, to all engines - but it's not endemic to this engine or this jetdrive. Do a search here, it's been rehashed several times. The short version is that the Mercury engine is more reliable but more expensive to repair, while the Rotax is less reliable and less expensive to repair. Take your choice... I own, operate, and maintain both and they're both nice engines.

Back on topic:

My 2001 Challenger 2000 with 240EFI engine did ~54 MPH before I installed the waketower, and now does ~52 MPH. This is with the engine at 6000 RPM where, by the way, it purrs like a kitten. It actually runs better the faster we rev it up. Each morning when we warm it up, we do a WOT run at 6000 RPM for a couple of minutes just to make certain the engine runs flat-out for a while every day. Been doing that every day for the six years we've owned the boat, and when I did a preventive mini-overhaul this spring there were no signs of problems whatsoever. I expect this engine to easily last another ten years.

Regarding that RPM comment: It is not possible to directly compare the RPM's between a Mercury and a Rotax. The Mercury has a much larger jetdrive and impeller and lower WOT RPM's, while the Rotax has a smaller jetdrive and impeller and higher WOT RPM's. The Mercury jetdrive is a mixed-mode pump while the Rotax is an axial pump. And so on. RPM's are just one factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
My response to the top speed post was simply information I gained from 4 of the potential 6 mercury engine re-builders in the country.

Each and every engine rebuild company I called to fix mine asked how hard I run it. These 240 mercs have ring locating pin problems at high rpm's. Ring moves and tears the cylinder up causing engine failure.

I'm sure there are people who run there mercs at 70000 rpms doing wheelies and never have a failure.

However anyone taking on a new jet boat with a 240 merc should be cautious as to not think it's bullet proof. The motors fail and fail at great expense with little options for repair.

That being said.. I wouldn't want one of the older rotax either. Something in the 2005+ I would own in a second.

But to the point of the post. My engine would do low 50's pre-rebuild. It's my understanding that I can get 60 with the .30 bore the motor received. I am taking my engine builders advice of keeping it below 5000rpms ( 45mph ) to make sure I have a boat to use all summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
My response to the top speed post was simply information I gained from 4 of the potential 6 mercury engine re-builders in the country. Each and every engine rebuild company I called to fix mine asked how hard I run it. These 240 mercs have ring locating pin problems at high rpm's. Ring moves and tears the cylinder up causing engine failure.

First I've heard of that, but could be true. Sounds like you did your research.

However anyone taking on a new jet boat with a 240 merc should be cautious as to not think it's bullet proof.

NOTHING is bulletproof. That seems especially true in marine equipment. Remember what B.O.A.T. stands for! But I will say that my Mercury has been far more reliable than my Rotaxes. Just yesterday, in fact, I was debugging a fuel system problem on one of my two Rotax engines. It's fixed, but that's another couple of hours I'll never get back that were spent working, rather than playing, at the lake.

I am taking my engine builders advice of keeping it below 5000rpms ( 45mph ) to make sure I have a boat to use all summer.

By happy accident, we run our engine at 4000-4500 RPM most of the time these days for wakeboarding. It does get the daily WOT run, but 95% of its time is spent below the threshold you've specified. Perhaps that's why ours has been so reliable? Not sure, but not complaining!

Side note: I wonder if warmup has anything to do with it. I'm careful to warm up all of our engines, starting with 10-15 seconds at idle, then bump 500 RPM for another ~15-30 seconds, then another 500 RPM, etc. I'm constantly amazed at people who cold start their engines and immediately ask them to accelerate hard, or run WOT, or whatever. That just cannot be good for close tolerance parts - like, for example, rings and pistons.

I agree I wouldn't own the rotax unless it was a brand new one with a warranty. I like the Merc that's why I bought it. However I wasn't aware of the problems they have.

1. Oil gear going out ( blown motor )
2. #1 #6 injector going bad. ( blown motor )
3. Piston locating pin failure. ( blown motor )

Our room for error on these things is none:) Hopefully this rebuild will last me longer now that I am much easier on it.

Right now mine runs rough under 2000 rpm. Once I go over 3500-4000 it's super smooth. We had the lake to ourselves last night about sunset and it will scream with the new motor in it. We love ours.. however my point.. don't host any speed trials with your seadoo boat. They aren't cheap to repair.

4000-5200 is the sweet spot for longevity on these things.

4000-5200 is the sweet spot for longevity on these things.

I suspect EVERYTHING mechanical is more reliable if you don't redline it frequently {grin}. And as the redline goes up (i.e. higher RPM's) the stress increases with it. I've heard a diesel engine running a jetdrive is about the most reliable marine powertrain possible... perhaps because its redline is under 4000 RPM's? (They're often used on tugboats and cable-laying ships and use huge impellers turning much more slowly than ours.)

#1 #6 injector going bad

BTW, I just sent in my injectors for cleaning and matching during my mini-overhaul last spring. Most were fine, but one was sluggish in the open direction. The injector shop said that was the most common thing they see on these Keinen injectors. Thank goodness, because it means they fail in a way that tends to protect the engine (rather than running lean).

People with fuel injection believe running a can of injector cleaner is sufficient, but it's not. If you have an fuel injected engine, injector cleaning and matching is part of regular maintenance - no matter who built your engine. $25/injector is pretty cheap for more power, better fuel efficiency, and engine protection.

I purposely avoided buy rotax when I bought our 2000 Speedster. Merc has been around a long time and with my experience replacing 2 engines in our 95 explorer in 5 years, I had enough of the Rotax. If you use the proper oil, follow a proper maintenance schedule, that motor will likely last longer then any rotax. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back