240 EFI shredded belt

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnviL Man

I shredded my alternator belt. Opened the engine compartment and saw it laying in the bilge area all tore up. My belt was squealing for about 15 seconds on startups the last few times out so I'm assuming the belt was original and had never been changed and it was just at the end of it's life. I think the boat ran maybe 15-20 minutes with no belt before we left for the day. I'm assuming no damage can occur from that other than draining and not charging the battery? If the belt didn't break from old age what else could have caused it to get shredded like it did? The tensioner bearing seemed to spin ok, spinning it by hand seems smooth I guess. No grinding or rubbing sound/feeling. Same with the alternator, doesn't seem like it's binding up or anything.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily I found a somewhat local place that had the belt I needed in stock. I installed the new belt and all seems to be fine.

Hi. Had same happen to me with a brand new belt. Ended up changing alternator as the pulley on top had some corrosion and was quite rough. Now use a £8 belt from autospare shop. Can't remember the belt number but if you look at previous posts you will see. Cheaper than the mercury belt which is probably made by the same belt company anyway.

Hey thanks for replying. Yeah the belt was $78.00 :facepalm: I would've loved to have found a cheaper belt. Are the belts the same for all these motors?

Hey so I shredded the new belt I put on. It lasted maybe 2-3 trips out until today I looked once we got back and it was shredded up and laying in the bilge. The idler pulley if I give it a spin with my hand will turn at least a few full times around before it stops and the same for the alternator. So my question is what is the likely cause for it shredding belts? Should I get a new alternator? If so anyone have a link to the correct one? Or could I get one at an auto store? The one I came across said $540. Hoping there are other options. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back