240 EFI engine swap

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenniesdaddy

I have a 2001 seadoo challenger 1800 with a 240 efi m2 engine that has a hole in the block on port side
I am having a hard time finding a motor. A mechanic told me I can replace it with the powerhead from an outboard motor but didn’t know what motor
Does anyone know if I can do that and if so what powerhead will work?
Or does anyone have any parts that would work
Thank you

I had the EXACT same thing happen to my first 240 M2 motor in the same boat, same year- my engine blew when the mechanical oil injection pump failed and it threw a rod through the block. no, you can't just use another mercury powerhead, the M2 powerheads have a different size crankshaft that's used on the jet pump. you have to use an M2 powerhead. There's a lot of merc powerheads that look like they'll work, but they won't. I tried for half a summer to get a shop in new england to rebuild a powerhead for me, or find a compatible powerhead to swap out. no one & nothing around. I ended up pulling out the motor, building a crate out of 2x3 lumber and shipping it to blackbird industries in Pa- they undressed my powerhead and redressed a new re-manned M2 powerhead and shipped it back. took about a month and it cost me $4500. You might be able to find a shortblock on ebay- make sure you compare serial & model #'s diligently- Blackbird specializes in high-performance Mercury engines. there was another place in florida that specialized on the merc M2's but can't recall the name.
Blackbird Motors Inc. "Serving the Marine Industry Since 1972"

actually found a few pics in my email from way back! can't remember if this was the 1st or 2nd Mercury M2 240 block that blew from an oil injection malfunction...

Attachments

• thumbnail 2.jpg
    thumbnail 2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 35
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 34
I had the EXACT same thing happen to my first 240 M2 motor in the same boat, same year- my engine blew when the mechanical oil injection pump failed and it threw a rod through the block. no, you can't just use another mercury powerhead, the M2 powerheads have a different size crankshaft that's used on the jet pump. you have to use an M2 powerhead. There's a lot of merc powerheads that look like they'll work, but they won't. I tried for half a summer to get a shop in new england to rebuild a powerhead for me, or find a compatible powerhead to swap out. no one & nothing around. I ended up pulling out the motor, building a crate out of 2x3 lumber and shipping it to blackbird industries in Pa- they undressed my powerhead and redressed a new re-manned M2 powerhead and shipped it back. took about a month and it cost me $4500. You might be able to find a shortblock on ebay- make sure you compare serial & model #'s diligently- Blackbird specializes in high-performance Mercury engines. there was another place in florida that specialized on the merc M2's but can't recall the name.

What are the differences? I have always heard it was just the bottom crank spline. Are there differences in the block, too?

The crank splines for sure, but it was over a decade ago for me so I can't remember everything. I think I remember something about the way it bolted onto the jet pump as well. I know I spent half a summer researching it and if there was any way possible to avoid shipping my motor to a Mercury expert 500 miles away. Just call up Blackbird, I know I talked to them a few times before pulling the trigger. They'll answer your questions- they're Mercury experts and know all about this stuff.

Great info! Do you remember if they would have rebuilt your block and sent it back to you?

Great info! Do you remember if they would have rebuilt your block and sent it back to you?
they didnt rebuild it- was too damaged. they did a long block powerhead swap and redressed it with all the items from my block.

I wouldn't use Blackbird to change a flat tire. Just Google blackbird or whatever other name they're using now. You can decide for yourself.

I wouldn't use Blackbird to change a flat tire. Just Google blackbird or whatever other name they're using now. You can decide for yourself.
well- i used them twice to replace my mercury 240 engines and had positive experiences with them so, i guess there's that... they've been "blackbird" for decades- blackbird motors & blacbird industries are the same company- always have been. when no one else would even touch the M2 240, mercury- they took care of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back