2022 GTI SE 170 Engine Noise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NLDrones

Hello, new here and have a question about my ski listed in title.

I am currently 5.5 hours into my break in period and a new engine noise has emerged.

After a full throttle stretch - maybe 4 seconds - releasing the throttle creates a louder, more “rattle” like engine sound that occurs shortly after releasing throttle and ends shortly before coming to the neutral coast speed.

Additional context, it had just stormed the night prior with heavy rainfall, I checked engine bay and there are water droplets sprinkled inside the bay but no pooling at the bottom. (This is the only other detail that I think might contribute since nothing else has changed since the last time I rode).

I would not say that the engine itself is rattling, all other speeds as well as idle sound normal, it’s just the best fitting adjective. And wether it’s the noise from the engine or exhaust is hard to define.

If you need more information to form an opinion that could help me please let me know.

Thank you!

I have the same ski, but 2021 Model. I gather that you are running the ski on the trailer and describing a condition out of the water, not in the water?

Others on this forum are more experienced, but Seadoo have a rattle noise in the jet Pump or PTO when there isn’t water pressure resistance on the impeller. Exactly why and where the rattle comes from, I can’t recall. But it is normal, happens on all Seadoos, and I am wondering if this is something you may just be noticing now, as you get tuned into your ski? Or are you convinced it is definitely different and a new sound?

For good measure, use a flashlight and look up inside the intake grate under the ski and see if you see any debris stuck in the impeller. And look from the back of the ski into the impeller with a flashlight (There should be just enough room to see under the reverse bucket).

I don’t know of any unusual noise or rattle you should be hearing on the water, with pressure and resistance on the impeller. I think you may want to make a service appointment.

I just got my 2020 170 engine rebuilt. The piston walls flaked after 53 hours and ate the rings. Seadoo backed up their product and fixed it. But, im not the first to see this. I had a spoon of water and droplets in my bay regularly. I have since opened it up in the garage and put a fan every time. But more important is this… I was never told, after my exhaust wash and shut down put an air fitting into the wash port. ( I bought the hose fitting and married it to a compressed air fitting) Apparently if you don’t run air through to dry it lessens the life of the carbon seal keeping water out. If you take your deck off and look where your driveshaft goes in the engine there might be lines up both sides of the hull. The dealer said that’s not good. But that doesn’t mean your ruined. Just do it from now on. I don’t put 120 psi through it, maybe 60psi. We don’t want to push water past the seals, just dry it. I work on helicopters and carbon seals are delicate but they work and get old like we do. If you don’t have air I’m sure one of those things you use to blow up camping beds will work. It’s definitely cheaper and if you want, rig yourself a y fitting and allow air in the cleaning port and the drai port to dry inside the hull as well. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back