2015 spark 2up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Redjay

getting water inside engine,I noticed rubber grommet on steering cable is torn badly,could this cause water to get into hull?

getting water inside engine,I noticed rubber grommet on steering cable is torn badly,could this cause water to get into hull?
I'm confused???? First you say..."I'm getting water inside the engine"...then you ask "could this cause water to get into hull".

Two different things entirely......YES, a torn rubber grommet on the steering cable could let water into the hull....but, how can you notice this??? The steering cable passes through the hull and usually has rubber grommet(s) that are held in place by a fitting that either screws into the backplate to compress those rubber grommets around the steering cable outer sheathe or in the case of my 2017 SPARK, there is a 2 piece plastic fitting that goes around the steering cable outer sheathe and compresses the rubber grommets AND restrains the steering cable to the hull...so you can't really see the rubber grommets behind the "fitting" if it is place.

Water inside the engine is a completely different problem......there could be a leak in any of the engine gaskets allowing water from the cooling jacket into the engine.....how do you know there is water in the engine though....the engine would hydrolock and stop functioning pretty quickly. You never want to run an engine full of water as water won't compress and bad things would happen really fast. If you have/suspect water in the engine.....take the spark plugs out and try to crank the engine to expel water out of the cylinders.

I'm confused???? First you say..."I'm getting water inside the engine"...then you ask "could this cause water to get into hull".

Two different things entirely......YES, a torn rubber grommet on the steering cable could let water into the hull....but, how can you notice this??? The steering cable passes through the hull and usually has rubber grommet(s) that are held in place by a fitting that either screws into the backplate to compress those rubber grommets around the steering cable outer sheathe or in the case of my 2017 SPARK, there is a 2 piece plastic fitting that goes around the steering cable outer sheathe and compresses the rubber grommets AND restrains the steering cable to the hull...so you can't really see the rubber grommets behind the "fitting" if it is place.

Water inside the engine is a completely different problem......there could be a leak in any of the engine gaskets allowing water from the cooling jacket into the engine.....how do you know there is water in the engine though....the engine would hydrolock and stop functioning pretty quickly. You never want to run an engine full of water as water won't compress and bad things would happen really fast. If you have/suspect water in the engine.....take the spark plugs out and try to crank the engine to expel water out of the cylinders.
Thank you for responding, I am getting water in the hull not the engine.and the grommet on steering cable where it comes out of rear of hull .so when cable slides in and out looks like water can get into hull

Thank you for responding, I am getting water in the hull not the engine.and the grommet on steering cable where it comes out of rear of hull .so when cable slides in and out looks like water can get into hull
OK, that makes more sense now...and I think I'm mistaken about water in the engine being used for cooling. If I am not mistaken, the SPARKS are sealed cooling systems with anti-freeze so water is not used for cooling purposes. SO, if you HAD water in the engine then you'd have a big problem on your hands.

Are you sure water is getting in past the steering cable?

Here's MY story of water in the hull of my 2017 Spark: I crashed my Spark, broke the hull front badly (basketball ball sized hole), it sank ass down but stayed afloat, nose up. I swam it home (1/4 mile) like that to my dock and hoisted it into the boathouse with a chain fall. Fast forward....new hull, swapped everything into the new hull.....put it back on the water. Next morning, she's almost underwater again, caught her just in time and pulled her out, full of water in the hull so I left it there, did NOT open the drain plug as I wanted to see where the water will come OUT. Found it. After watching it carefully, I discovered that the plastic/vinyl tube for the bailer/drain system inside the hull that passes through the hull to the outside was leaking. This is a bad design of the SPARK hull....Seadoo relies on the vinyl tube passing through the hull to be a pressure fit (the hole in the hull is slightly smaller than the vinyl tube so when you pull/push the vinyl tube through the hull, it is supposed to make a seal)....well, if that tube shrinks/dries out (from age, cold water)....water can sneek past the tube into the hull. The tube is at the rear bottom of the hull underwater so you'd never know it was happening until she starts sinking.

I ended up taking the top deck off again and goobered (with silicone) the hell out of the vinyl tube inside the hull until I had a seal....waited a few hours for the silicone to set, goobered up the vinyl hose on the outside (hard to do with the jet pump in the way but still do-able) as well. Put her back in the water and she has been good as new since...two seasons now and still going strong.

Tks,looks like I will taking top half off to see where exactly leak is coming from
That's what I would do, take the top deck completely off, tilt the ski nose up, fill the hull with water to the bottom of the engine and watch where it might be dripping out then figure out a solution from there....good luck and happy hunting.

Back