2014 SEA DOO GTI 130 SE multiple issues, IBR light, Flush question, accelerates

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BajaBound

HI,
i am new to all of this and i apologize if i am not posting in the correct place.

i am looking for advice on a few different topics. my sea-doo @ 70hrs has started to accelerate "by itself" when at idle randomly. we take it in the salt water to tow surf, which is the only reason we bought it. i have no idea what could cause this beast to go from idle to about 8MPH without me pulling the Lever.

ive checked the lever, nothing wrong(not getting stuck). my pwc has now done this about 15 times, each time it only last for a few seconds but its not ideal when trying to navigate through large surf.

Now secondly, while in the large surf last weekend the IBR light and engine light simultaneously came on accompanied by a loud BEEEEEEEP!!! PWC would not go into Neutral or Reverse. powered down the PWC by pulling the key out and waited a while, i got behind it, wiggles the reverse gate around a bit, waiting a few minutes and powered back up with no issues. must have been stuck or some debris or sea weed in there somewhere.

thirdly and i guess most importantly,
ive read, watched, heard so many conflicting statements on how to properly flush after using in saltwater.

i see guys reving their ski's up dry and then hooking up the hose.

i know it goes Engine on, water on, water off, engine off.

my question is, how long to run before running water in, how long with water in, and how long after you turn water off? and am i supposed to rev it like i see all the other guys do?

any advice on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated.

Is your PWC still under warranty? If so, get it to the dealer asap for the acceleration issue. Even without a warranty, I would have that looked at, pronto.

You could have it surge into another boat/person, etc...not a good day.

Were you wave jumping when the IBR failed?

For flushing, I start the ski, and within 3-5 seconds, connect the hose.

Let it run for about 30-60 seconds, pull the hose, let the remaining water drain, tap the throttle and stop the engine.

Since you're riding in salt, don't forget to rinse the drive shaft...often forgotten.

Once dried from rinsing/flushing, be sure to lubricate with SeaDoo XPS spray or some other (not WD40). I use Lanox when XPS is not available.

http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx4-lubricant/

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your PWC still under warranty? If so, get it to the dealer asap for the acceleration issue. Even without a warranty, I would have that looked at, pronto.

You could have it surge into another boat/person, etc...not a good day.

Were you wave jumping when the IBR failed?

For flushing, I start the ski, and within 3-5 seconds, connect the hose.

Let it run for about 30-60 seconds, pull the hose, let the remaining water drain, tap the throttle and stop the engine.

Since you're riding in salt, don't forget to rinse the drive shaft...often forgotten.

Hi,
thank you for your advise, xspook.

Yes, its under warranty, im just having a hard time taking it to the dealer as they said they have no clue what it could be and it could take up to 2 months to fix dependent on what the issue is.

Yes, we were in fairly large surf 10 feet + when the iBR failed/malfunctioned, ive taken it out for another 4 hours and it has not come back, also the acceleration only happens when in waves. it does not ever happen when riding in flat water or in transit from our hardbor to the marine base we surf on. its only a 10 minute ride though.

thanks for the flush advise. spraying the drive shaft is as simple as getting water up into the intake grate and/or directly into the prop from behind, correct?

spraying the drive shaft is as simple as getting water up into the intake grate and/or directly into the prop from behind, correct?

I crawl under the ski and spray it into the intake grate. I bought my 2011 GTI used and there was corrosion on the drive shaft. I sanded it and always rinse and lube it after every ride (I ride in salt and brackish water).

I also raise the IBR bucket and spray the entire pump area.

Don't forget your trailer...rinse it after every ride. I also lube the wheels after every ride and 2-3 times a year, I'll spray the whole thing down.

LUbe?

I crawl under the ski and spray it into the intake grate. I bought my 2011 GTI used and there was corrosion on the drive shaft. I sanded it and always rinse and lube it after every ride (I ride in salt and brackish water).

I also raise the IBR bucket and spray the entire pump area.

Don't forget your trailer...rinse it after every ride. I also lube the wheels after every ride and 2-3 times a year, I'll spray the whole thing down.

XSPOOK,
much appreciated, what type of lube do you use for the wheels? obviously i may be in a little over my head. Bought a new ski with no knowledge!!! but thats life!!

I prefer lube thats safe to use on rubber parts, so XPS or Lanox is my choice. I use WD40 on the trailer frame (I have a galvinized steel trailer).

...also the acceleration only happens when in waves. it does not ever happen when riding in flat water or in transit from our hardbor to the marine base we surf on. its only a 10 minute ride though.

Is the surging occurring while you are putting in steering inputs?

I ask is because the skis are equipped with O.T.A.S. (Off-throttle assisted steering) which will actually rev the engine to give you more steering when you are moving and need to steer but have no throttle in. This is just a theory, but in 10 foot surf the ski may think it is moving even though you are idling because you are going with the surf and GPS could be picking up that speed.

If the surges are coming while you are putting in no inputs at all then it sounds like it could be the TPS (throttle position sensor). There is no traditional throttle cable, it's done through electric sensors.

Does the ski have the slow speed/no wake module installed?

I ask is because the skis are equipped with O.T.A.S. (Off-throttle assisted steering) which will actually rev the engine to give you more steering when you are moving and need to steer but have no throttle in. This is just a theory, but in 10 foot surf the ski may think it is moving even though you are idling because you are going with the surf and GPS could be picking up that speed.

f the surges are coming while you are putting in no inputs at all then it sounds like it could be the TPS (throttle position sensor). There is no traditional throttle cable, it's done through electric sensors.

Thanks qsilver23t,

i think you are on to something here. i don't believe the ski has no wake mode/slow speed module - i have run through all the systems on the dash and haven't come across it. however it does make total sense that the GPS would think i am moving since there is typically a lot of water moving underneath the ski and even though the throttle is released.

its hard to say if it only happens if i am putting in steering inputs because i believe its happened while i let go of the bars to wipe my face off (but i honestly cant say if the bars were straight or not)

When it does happen, all i do is click the iBR lever and it almost always kicks off after about 1 second.

- only surges when "inside" of the surf, or, immediately after getting outside of the breaking wave zone
- only surges when i let go of the throttle to slow down
- immediate surge directly after throttle release
- it is very random, it does not occur every time we go into the breaking wave zone to pick up the surfer, it probably happens about 3-5 times out of every 15-20 pick ups from inside the surf

i will do some research on the T.P.S. and see if i can spot an error or malfunction. your advice is greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks for taking the time to help out!!! :cheers:

Qsilver23T - question

If the surges are coming while you are putting in no inputs at all then it sounds like it could be the TPS (throttle position sensor). There is no traditional throttle cable, it's done through electric sensors.

Hey Qsilver23T

So i was riding on Saturday, i noticed when i would move the handle bars to turn as far as they would go, it would rev the engine a little bit, like you were saying with the OTAS.

1 think i forgot to mention, the ski has revved up while on the trailer doing a flush, so i would think that the GPS comment would not be accurate to this issue.

i am just going to bite the bullet and get it to the dealer to get fixed, just hate the thought that "it could take a couple months" per the dealer....

anyways, thanks for you comments and advise. !!

Fuel used 92 or 87? Stay away from fuels with high amounts ethonal. Water in the fuel? Might explain when on the trailer.
The wave lifting you up would cause a force feed of water through your jet pump ( Bernulli's Law).

Fuel

Fuel used 92 or 87? Stay away from fuels with high amounts ethonal. Water in the fuel? Might explain when on the trailer.
The wave lifting you up would cause a force feed of water through your jet pump ( Bernulli's Law).

Thanks AircraftDoc,

we use 92 as i believe that is what the owners manual reccomends.
it is possible that there was condensation in the gas tank - is that a means for the sudden surges?

Thanks AircraftDoc,

we use 92 as i believe that is what the owners manual reccomends.
it is possible that there was condensation in the gas tank - is that a means for the sudden surges?

Good possibility. Maybe add a fuel additive like Seafoam etc. Still, write a letter to SeaDoo about this so you have dated documentation of this problem while under Warranty. They also may have a solution. Dealers are not helpful when they have to bill back to SeaDoo on warranties for some reason.

Oceanside, Ca? I love jumping waves near the Point Loma's Light House.

thanks AircraftDoc - yes OSIDE!!

Good possibility. Maybe add a fuel additive like Seafoam etc. Still, write a letter to SeaDoo about this so you have dated documentation of this problem while under Warranty. They also may have a solution. Dealers are not helpful when they have to bill back to SeaDoo on warranties for some reason.

Oceanside, Ca? I love jumping waves near the Point Loma's Light House.

thanks for the advice.

yea im in Oside Ca. we use our ski to surf on camp Pendelton. there are a ton of guys who go out to jump waves on the base. its the only place that i am aware of that you can get near the beach on a PWC so its kinda a circus sometimes on the weekend.

yea i can see how the dealer would dread having to send sea-doo the bill. unfortunately i singed up for an extended warranty and 3 years of pre-paid services at the dealer, if i took my time while buying the thing i would have opted out on that. kinda got sold pretty hard on this thing. it all happened fast and i was impressed i was able to finance so they GOT me!!!

The rock formation make the waves break far enough from shore by PointL. And no sufers etc. My friend lives down in San Diego, casa de gold.

where do you launch from?

Also, is seafoam something you use every time you fill up? i was told about using an additive by a guy i met on base, however he has a brand new 2014 just like mine and he said he's had to replace the spark plugs 3 times already, i thought to myself, it might be the additive he is using. but i have not found much info on the fuel additives. can you inform me of your procedures regarding this when you get a chance?

SeaFoam won't foul the plugs. (Use this) Marvels Mystery will foul the plugs sometimes. Follow the directions on the product usually every time you fill up, but you can skip one. See if that solves it. Supercharged engines need the plugs to be replaced with heavy use. Some suggest every year. Carry some spares with you. Go ahead and replace your plugs. $5 apiece is cheap. ? @ 70hours they need replacing. Your computer is compensating for the failing plug and when the bad plug kicks in, you get acceleration.

When I'm down south in SD, I launch from mission bay just north of Sea World.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you read the manual and winterize. Remove the plugs and spray SeaDoo preserve oil into the cylinders and crank with the throttle at full so the oil hits the exhaust valves. Remove the injectors and spray per manual. Fog the metal parts inside and out because of the salt.

Thanks doc!!!

Make sure you read the manual and winterize. Remove the plugs and spray SeaDoo preserve oil into the cylinders and crank with the throttle at full so the oil hits the exhaust valves. Remove the injectors and spray per manual. Fog the metal parts inside and out because of the salt.

thanks Doc,

I was under the impression that since we live on the cost in SD that winterizing would not be necessary, especially since we intend on using it pretty much every weekend. please let me know if i am incorrect ..... assuming since you mentioned it - i was wrong with that thought!!

i literally have no knowledge of the mechanics of these engines but i am willing to learn and have been doing as much research as possible. i purchased the sea doo xps spray and have sprayed the entire engine compartment, reverse bucket, and drive shaft every 10 hours or so. i haven't gotten as far as taking off the engine cover and actually diving into the depths of the unknown.

i will purchase some spare plugs as you recommended, is there i website that is reliable that you use? . i am going to call the dealer to see if they were replaced when it was serviced at 50 hours. we have prepaid for 6 services which occur every 50 hours, i am now at 94 hours so its ready to go back in regardless.

Again, Thanks Doc for all your help.

is your user name ( AircraftDoc ) literal? i work in the aerospace electronics industry. (electroplating for all things NASA, JPL, Boeing..etc)

Still running? Wow, must be wearing suits.
Running every weekend or two, you don't need to fog the cylinders or injectors.
The shop manuals can be found here for premium members.
Spark plugs can fail earlier than they are suppossed to.
And yep, A&P and avionics tech. General Avaition to 747 and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back