2014 3up ibr actuator removal question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

JCT

Hi
I have a non working ibr with warning light and intact fuse. Going to take out actuator and do the 775 motor repair. What is the best way to remove the top deck to get to actuator? Middle top deck > 3up extension > Rear top deck? Is there any “easy” way to get back there without removing the main top deck as I will be working alone? Does the 3up rear extension even need to come off?

I have never had to get into the Spark before (been very reliable) so this is my first time.

I have no actual experience with a 2014 Spark 3UP dis-assembly.

I have dis-assembled my 2017 Spark 2UP at least twice so far.....the top deck comes completely off (after many screws and bolts are removed.

I have done this myself, on my driveway....I completely replaced the entire hull in 2018, swapped the engine and drive train back in and put the whole thing back together in about 6 hours......it's certainly do-able.

I also dis-assembled (top deck off) it last year (again) to fix the iBR unit.....I wrote a long dissertation about that adventure. I fixed the iBR unit, didn't need to replace the motor..... you might want to grab a coffee and read through that for some insights (FWIW) - search iBR dissertation...I think it's still around in the SPARK forum somewhere..

Thanks, I enjoyed the read.
So the actuator is under the muffler?
Did you need to remove the smaller rear deck?

Thanks, I enjoyed the read.
So the actuator is under the muffler?
Did you need to remove the smaller rear deck?
I took the top deck off and that gave me room to get inside the hull to get to the iBR....the muffler and stuff needs to come out but it's not hard.....you will learn to make some tricky bendy moves to get it out but it'll come out. I did not have to take any other pieces of the ski apart other than the top deck off to get to the iBR which is buried in the lower left rear of the ski (looking from back to front).

Here is an update-
Finally finished the ski yesterday put it back in the water and it runs great. The ibr was not difficult to remove after taking off the middle top section. I used the YouTube videos on how to repair with a 775 electric motor off eBay. Mine had the typical broken motor brush spring/bracket. Also added the extended VTS which the kids enjoy. Since this was also the first time I ever personally changed the oil I was surprised to get almost 5 quarts out of it. Took 3 quarts to get it between the lines. Yep dry sup and followed the manual. Dealer just overfilled. Also was low on coolant, not sure why will keep an eye on it.

Here is an update-
Finally finished the ski yesterday put it back in the water and it runs great. The ibr was not difficult to remove after taking off the middle top section. I used the YouTube videos on how to repair with a 775 electric motor off eBay. Mine had the typical broken motor brush spring/bracket. Also added the extended VTS which the kids enjoy. Since this was also the first time I ever personally changed the oil I was surprised to get almost 5 quarts out of it. Took 3 quarts to get it between the lines. Yep dry sup and followed the manual. Dealer just overfilled. Also was low on coolant, not sure why will keep an eye on it.
The LOW coolant could be a leaking water pump gasket....that is a complete guess BUT I think I read about that somewhere. MY 2017 coolant level is also low when I checked it (beginning of the season this year)...the cooling system is a closed loop so the coolant LOW has to be going somewhere.....usually 2 places....in the hull (leaking externally) or in the oil (leaking internally)...BUT I have NOT torn MY ski apart yet (this season - no time) to really get in there and find the problem.

Back