2011 RXT X Blown Engine Help...74 hours!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bicmitchum

Anyone have any thoughts or insight on the issue I'm experiencing?

2011 RXT-X, with 74 hours runtime

- Seasonally serviced at BRP dealers
The unit was running, shut down, restarted and had an obvious knock in the engine. The unit was operated to get to shore approximately ¼ mile at idle. Delivered to BRP dealer.

After full engine removal and inspection by a BRP Certified Mechanic (27 years), some obvious conclusions are drawn.

1. The connecting rod lower bearing on PTO end had spun around onto itself

- This bearing was the only one that failed and spun internally as well as externally in rod. This is uncharacteristic as most will spin through the bearing but extremely rare to climb up on itself.

2. The main crankshaft bearings are showing abrasion wear premature

- The observation here is again only 1 failed, rule out contaminated oil as all others are in good shape. It’s the only position on the bearing that has worn through to bronze which indicates a slight miss alignment.

3. The end play thrust bearing on the crankshaft has failed and worn into the crankcase

- This design is not favourable for long, high speed application as the bearing surface is limited and only supported on 50% on the crankcase area. The support backing of the bearing is not hardened to limit the wear when bearing heat is developed as hours are put on the unit.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Conclusion

This unit in my professional opinion is an early production series that has internal fit and assembly issues. The client in this case needs to be treated with special allowances as the replacement parts are estimated at 60% of the complete unit value after such as short life cycle. There is no reason to use the vintage of unit as it was always maintained at dealer level with OEM lubricants and the life cycle should be the only judgment. Based on a common BRP engine life cycle of greater than 5000 hours, this unit has lasted only 1.5% of its life cycle.
I have attached photos to support my conclusion.

If you buy a ski that can go from 0 to 30mph in 1.7 seconds I think you have to accept a certain amount of risk that you could spin a bearing at any time no matter how well it is maintained.

What has seadoo said? My guess is you will be on your own. If it was an initial mfg defect, I’d expect it likely wouldnt make it more than a few hours running if the rod clearances were too tight. Stuff does fail. Maybe the anti rotation tang wasn’t made correctly and finally allowed it to spin blocking off the oiling hole. Sucks for sure though!

If you buy a ski that can go from 0 to 30mph in 1.7 seconds I think you have to accept a certain amount of risk that you could spin a bearing at any time no matter how well it is maintained.

The repair bill was quoted at $9,000. Someone who spends as much as I have on a machine should get a lot more use out of it then 74 hours. 2 years ago when the machine had approximately 65 hours on it, an impeller ring broke and the Machine started taking on water while we were riding it. Within a matter of seconds it came very close to sinking. The repair bill on that was $1,300. This machine has been well maintained and yet still cost me a significant amount of money. It's nowhere near the risk and I will never do it again.

What has seadoo said? My guess is you will be on your own. If it was an initial mfg defect, I’d expect it likely wouldnt make it more than a few hours running if the rod clearances were too tight. Stuff does fail. Maybe the anti rotation tang wasn’t made correctly and finally allowed it to spin blocking off the oiling hole. Sucks for sure though!

I submitted all the mechanics findings and Sea-Doo basically responded within a matter of hours saying they would not do anything because it was not under warranty. I don't believe the actually looked at what I submitted in the findings of a certified BRP mechanic with 27 years of experience was able to provide. I will pass the information you've provided on to my mechanic. Thank you for your response.

9000 USD... You better shuffle in a refurbished engine for 3500 USD and good to rock again. I have the same jetski and have my engine out as the head gasket blew. Just opening up to verify all is OK and replace the flywheel bolts. It helps to do everything myself.

Not surprised by their denial. I don’t know of any major mfgs that would warranty something 5+ years after warranty expired regardless of mileage or hours. GM and Ford were notorious for this in the 70s and 80s for being 100% strict on warranty coverage though even for obvious defects. My parents had a ford where the transmission failed at 12,050 miles on 12k mile warranty. Made my parents eat the entire cost of a replacement. After that experience, my parents never bought a ford again. Lost literally the sale of 5-10 more cars from them for not standing behind their product. As the japanese began erroding their marketshare (and fixing obvious defects outside of warranty periods) , the big 3 finally began to take a more earnest approach to fixing obvious defects outside of the warranty terms on a case by case basis.

Your certified BRP mechanic should have told you that they have seen this many times just as I have. The high hp 4tec motors will not last 5000 hours(not sure who gave you that number because I know BRP would never do that), you are lucky to get 500 out of them. If it were under warranty, BRP would fix it no questions asked. It's not, so they won't. You can call it a bad design or think that yours was just not put together right but it happens all the time. It's a high performance motor that fails and that's the way it is.
This unit in my professional opinion is an early production series that has internal fit and assembly issues
Not correct, same design has been out since 2002
Based on a common BRP engine life cycle of greater than 5000 hours, this unit has lasted only 1.5% of its life cycle.
This person has no idea what they are talking about. There has never been any seadoo that I've ever seen that will get to 5000 hours and for every one you find I'll show you 100 that have failed in less than 100 hours.

It sounds like you need a new mechanic because you are getting outrageous repair bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back