2011 Challenger 180 - Starts immediately but stalls after 5 minutes

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Im a long time reader and hope to one day assist someone. I have a 2011 challenger 180 that's always starts up immediately but then stalls after pickup up speed initially and then starts again but the rpm drops at idle until it stalls. If I wait 30 minutes it will start again and I am able to apply gas and move for another 5 minutes. There are no check engine or service lights being displayed and the supercharger appears to be in perfect working order. It would almost seem like the engine is not getting fuel or the pressure is dropping.

Here is what I've done so far from reading posts etc:

Checked all fuses including the ones by Battery and checked all wires and MPEM connections
Checked spark plugs and they are good
Oil is right at the middle mark on the stick
Installed brand new group 24 battery
Checked grates etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

@rcookr1 Thanks for the reply. At first yes, I get 7800rpm. But once I restart and try to move forward it stalls. I then have to sit for 30 minutes to an hr to get it running again for a short time. Thanks

Last edited:
Have you tried replacing the fuel filters? Sounds like the fuel system cant keep up with the required fuel pressure.

I'm with go_panthers, seems like a fuel issue. Have you confirmed what's missing when she dies (fuel/spark)?

Have you opened the fuel door to listen for a "whoosh"? Sometimes fuel systems can get "vapor locked" if a vent is clogged which could cause poor fuel delivery.

Bad injector? Fuel pump?

Thanks @JPass @ @go_panthers . The only thing I haven't checked yet is the fuel system. This thing is a real head scratcher because if there was a blockage why would it flow up to high RPM the first time? In listening to how it dies after that first run and how it starts back up and slowly drops RPM and bogs down I now believe its fuel too. My current gas has no smell, so I'm going to try and siphon it out and fill with fresh gas per the SeaDoo troubleshooting guide. Im just afraid to blow the engine. Ill report back on injectors/fuel etc when done.

So now the pump doesn’t pump any gas but we hear the motor moving. Any idea what we did wrong putting it back together?

I’m getting an error trying to view your pictures - says I don’t have permission to view them. If you can repost them, that may help figure it out.

Not sure if others have the same issue viewing the pictures.

So now we’ve put the pump back together and put it in the tank. No gas is flowing even though we hear the pump working. Any ideas?

The repair manual has a few different fuel system test procedures. Here's a decision tree from the manual that should help a little:

Decision Tree.jpg

The repair manual has a few different fuel system test procedures. Here's a decision tree from the manual that should help a little:

View attachment 42072
Thanks. Im pulling the pump so I can get pics to show you guys. I noticed something strange. The fuel pump assembly has gas in it but it seems clogged at the bottom and won't drain into the tank. We used carb cleaner to get the gunk out earlier. Im wondering if that could have clogged something?

Also, can I test the pump out of the boat for operation with another liquid like water etc? Would help me to verify in a safer environment :)

This is the view inside my tank. Should I drain all the fuel or is there no way to avoid this?IMG_6931.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6931.JPG
    IMG_6931.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 7
I wonder if there is a way to prime the pump could have air in it. Can you run direct dc volts to the pump

I pulled everything apart and tried blowing through the bump. Even hooked it up to the original power in the boat to see if I would get movement when I turn the key and now nothing. I’ve ordered a new aftermarket pump from eBay and will report back when it gets here.

What about the tank. Is the stuff in it acceptable? Or should I look into emptying it? Thanks

With all the work you’ve done so far, why not siphon the tank and clean it while you are waiting from the pump to arrive? Filter the gas and put it in your truck/car.

I pulled everything apart and tried blowing through the bump. Even hooked it up to the original power in the boat to see if I would get movement when I turn the key and now nothing. I’ve ordered a new aftermarket pump from eBay and will report back when it gets here.

What about the tank. Is the stuff in it acceptable? Or should I look into emptying it? Thanks

The fuel tank should not have junk floating around in there, you need it to be clean. Sometimes it can be a real challange to clean a nasty belly tank and polish the fuel, I use electric fuel pumps and large filter canisters and sometimes cloth rags tied to the end of a stiff wire to mop up trash.

Clean the tank. Did you try running the pump direct to a 12V source?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. @rcookr1 im traveling for work this week so when I get back the new pump should be here. But I do plan to pick up some clips so I can test directly to a battery. @go_panthers Im traveling this week so won't have time to clean the tank. I checked with my mechanic and he's telling me what's in there isn't anything to be very concerned about. Is he wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back