2010 vs 2011 model years of RXT-X

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsw222

Are these identical? I read several reviews of both years but it seems like they're the same ski.

If there are any differences, could you list some? Or maybe link me somewhere?

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4 stroke supercharged ski :)

I was wondering this myself. I am still planing on getting a 4-stroke this year with the RXT-X at the top of my list. Post anything you find out and I will do the same.

Will do!

Where are you looking to get one? There's a SeaDoo dealer in North Huntington, but besides that we would have to go out of state

Will do!

Where are you looking to get one? There's a SeaDoo dealer in North Huntington, but besides that we would have to go out of state

Yeah, I would go to Mosites Motorsports, the one in North Huntington. I was there yesterday (got XPS 2 Full Syn oil for $31 a gallon after tax..warehouse sale).

Good question,

2008 and 2009 are grey/silver with the old hull style. The engine is almost same as the newer versions but listed at 255. The 2010 and 2011 have a new hull design S3 and are the Darth Vader black ones. I've seen people list their grey 255 versions as "2010". I can not speak to the accuracy of their claims and I'm not sure when SeaDoo officially changed models.

To your original question regarding differences between the 2010 and 2011 RXT-X, there is no difference with one exception. In 2010 the active suspension was NOT an option on this model. The 2011 is available with the As-short for active suspension, much like a high performance snowmobile. Aside from the suspension option, the 2010 and 2011 are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I tried contacting BRP to find out any differences with the 2010 and 2011 model years and they would not help me at all. They simply told me to talk to a dealer.

govprof...can you back up you claims that they are identical or is that just second hand knowledge on your part? Even if they changed one washer, I want to know and know why they did it (ceramic supercharger washer problem '04-'07, for example).

Not a design engineer ....

:patriot:djredman99

I am not a design engineer for BPR.... I own a 2010 RXT-X and a 2008 version of the same ski. The paint, accessories, options, computer, guage cluster, operator controls, hood, mirrors, rub-rail, hull, seat, gas tank, front water-tight bin, glovebox, lanyard post, engine & SC, pump, trim, non-slip mats, battery holder, bilge system, exhaust, hull, and I believe decals are the same from '10-'11. My conclusion is based solely from my experience as a consumer. I've been looking at ski's for the last two years, looking at both years you mention, I can't tell the difference. In '11 you get the option of the As ... but take it for what it's worth. I was a design engineer in college and teach government now. Heck, I think I stayed at a "Holiday Inn Express last night.":bs:

Coming from the engineering field (automotive) and dealing in new product releases etc. I will venture a very educated guess that if BRP tweaked the product a little (changed a washer material etc.) they would never have passed that information along to the dealerships. If however it was done as a part of a recall or another similar similar set of circumstances then dealers would be notified (ie: exchanging part inventories because of a defective part etc.). Because 2010 was a redesign year for the RXT-X it is highly unlikely that anything of any significance changed in 2011. It is also likely that anything of a minor nature that changed would not be publicized unless it was to correct a defective part or design flaw. Companies that develop products such a BRP tend to be quiet about making changes (although they ALL do it) because it implies there was something wrong with the original design or part. You'll be the last person they tell. Just my 2 cents.

Companies that develop products such a BRP tend to be quiet about making changes (although they ALL do it) because it implies there was something wrong with the original design or part. You'll be the last person they tell.

So the stuff I want to know, they don't want me to.

I spoke to someone at BRP yesterday on the phone and they would not help me, either They completed deflected the question and said they only give the type of information that I was looking for to dealers. "They don't operate that way" with consumers is what I was told. Perhaps I am mistaken, but if I am to buy a $14k machine from BRP, I would think I have a right to know.

I guess I will try my local dealer next to see what they may or may not know.

Coming from the engineering field (automotive) and dealing in new product releases etc. I will venture a very educated guess that if BRP tweaked the product a little (changed a washer material etc.) they would never have passed that information along to the dealerships. If however it was done as a part of a recall or another similar similar set of circumstances then dealers would be notified (ie: exchanging part inventories because of a defective part etc.). Because 2010 was a redesign year for the RXT-X it is highly unlikely that anything of any significance changed in 2011. It is also likely that anything of a minor nature that changed would not be publicized unless it was to correct a defective part or design flaw. Companies that develop products such a BRP tend to be quiet about making changes (although they ALL do it) because it implies there was something wrong with the original design or part. You'll be the last person they tell. Just my 2 cents.

They also redesigned the entry level GTI lineup for 2011 (seemingly to focus on the low end models due to the economy). Plus they introduced the offshore model of the RXT. I don't think they could have made TOO many more changes in one year... it seems they have been pretty busy already.

DJ, have you been looking into the pump tunnel failures on the RXT-X models? It seems to be a common problem, and a carbon fiber reinforcement is needed or else the boat can sink when the tunnel cracks.

DJ, have you been looking into the pump tunnel failures on the RXT-X models? It seems to be a common problem, and a carbon fiber reinforcement is needed or else the boat can sink when the tunnel cracks.

Can you provide a link to some examples of this issue?

I remember a guy on here late last year posting about his ordeal with his new 2010 RXT-X sinking each time a dealer supposedly fixed his issue. Thought it had something to do with it melting something in the exhaust system, but I can't recall that he ever found out exactly what it was. Maybe his problem was what you are refering to. I will try to pull that thread up and see if there was a conclusion.

Can you provide a link to some examples of this issue?

I remember a guy on here late last year posting about his ordeal with his new 2010 RXT-X sinking each time a dealer supposedly fixed his issue. Thought it had something to do with it melting something in the exhaust system, but I can't recall that he ever found out exactly what it was. Maybe his problem was what you are refering to. I will try to pull that thread up and see if there was a conclusion.

I read his thread a little while ago and i'm pretty sure its not related. The tunnel cracking is a very commonly discussed problem over at GH but I can't link to it. I'll PM you, gimme 2 mins

I read his thread a little while ago and i'm pretty sure its not related. The tunnel cracking is a very commonly discussed problem over at GH but I can't link to it. I'll PM you, gimme 2 mins

Well, that is scary. BUT, the good news is that those threads on GH are pertaining to the '08 and maybe some '09 RXT-X's. In 2010, the RXT-X has the brand new s3 hull. I didn't see anyone in those threads with the tunnel collapsing/cracking with a 2010+. Hopefully, the issue is corrected.

Well, that is scary. BUT, the good news is that those threads on GH are pertaining to the '08 and maybe some '09 RXT-X's. In 2010, the RXT-X has the brand new s3 hull. I didn't see anyone in those threads with the tunnel collapsing/cracking with a 2010+. Hopefully, the issue is corrected.

You're absolutely right, good catch! i haven't read anything bad about the S3 hull at all yet... and i've been looking hard!

I told Mosites and a dealer in Akron that if they can give me NADA for my GPR's, then i will pull the trigger on a 2011 RXT-X with the 5 year warranty (nobody seems to have a 2010 in stock anymore). I'd like to stay local but if an Ohio dealer can give a better price then i would consider them.

I'm not too crazy about the 300x styling, and I feel like the iBR system on the RXTX would be a lot more practical than 40 extra horses. I absolutely love the style of the RXTX

really need 260 horse?

I was wondering this myself. I am still planing on getting a 4-stroke this year with the RXT-X at the top of my list. Post anything you find out and I will do the same.

supercharged jet skis cost a small fortune to maintain. the dealer you buy it from ain"t gonna tell you that.

supercharged jet skis cost a small fortune to maintain. the dealer you buy it from ain"t gonna tell you that.

Why is that?

I figure besides fuel costs... an oil change (and pump oil change) each season for $125, winterize/dewinterize myself or just pay the $150 each year, supercharger rebuild every 100 hours for $300 parts plus $50 labor which will be once every 2 years or so for me

What else didn't I think of? I see you own a RXTX... can you list any additional charges that we might run into? It would be nice to hear some owner feedback. Thanks!

I think most of us on here are very aware of that.

I am definitely weighing the additional costs I would incur over my 2-stroke. I plan on keeping the 98 GSXL, buying an RXT-X (maybe) and a dual trailer.

Why is that?

I figure besides fuel costs... an oil change (and pump oil change) each season for $125, winterize/dewinterize myself or just pay the $150 each year, supercharger rebuild every 100 hours for $300 parts plus $50 labor which will be once every 2 years or so for me

What else didn't I think of? I see you own a RXTX... can you list any additional charges that we might run into? It would be nice to hear some owner feedback. Thanks!

These are the same one's I am thinking. Premium fuel, supercharger rebuilds, oil changes, maybe coolant every other year....other that the remaining maintenace items are similar to the 2-strokes.

Repairs and part replacement (lot more parts) will tend to be more expensive as well.

Definitely add to the list if you got more in the "small fortune".

I think most of us on here are very aware of that.

I am definitely weighing the additional costs I would incur over my 2-stroke. I plan on keeping the 98 GSXL, buying an RXT-X (maybe) and a dual trailer.

Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth from both of my boat engines' top ends blowing up last summer, but I still can't see how it costs more to run a 4stroke than a 2stroke. I know this was discussed on another thread, with vets like Doc agreeing that 4stroke is more cost, but I'm still not convinced I guess. Especially considering the high price of oil we have to burn with our 2strokes.

I'm not getting rid of the boat any time soon (or at least not willingly) so I'm not trashing 2strokes by any means... I love my boat, and I love my yamaha skis. I just feel like they're about equal to supercharged skis in terms of running costs, and I want something thats going to be problem-free for the next 5 years so I can enjoy my summers and not worry as much about down-time.

Superchargers need rebuilt every 100 hours for $350, but top ends on 2strokes are $475 for SBT and I would imagine that would be needed every 100 hours as well (or in my case... twice in 10 hours).

Supercharged skis need oil changes, but 2strokes burn oil with their gas... so its like you either pay $125 a season for an oil change, or equally pay for 3-4 gallons of XPS oil a season (assuming you only run approx 10 tanks of gas through your ski, or in my case 3-4 tanks of gas in my boat... which most likely you will use a LOT more, which makes 2strokes more expensive in this aspect)

Pump oil needs changed on both so that should be about equal.

As for parts... yeah 2stroke would be much cheaper to fix, but after my boat blowing up twice... I'm not leaving the dealership without a 5 year warranty (1200 bucks, which i feel is more than worth it, even though yamaha's is 300-400). If something breaks, $50 deductible fixes it.

The initial cost of the supercharged ski is much higher, and its value will drop as soon as you leave the dealership... but i'm not thinking of this purchase as an investment - i'm thinking of it as buying a PWC that will give me 5 great summers of fun under warranty. Whatever money I can get back for it after that would just be a bonus.

Maybe I just have...

Good points.

5 year warranty should keep you from dealing with expensive parts/engine repairs for awhile. Question though, who is that warranty through? And does it cover EVERYTHING? I assume you were talking to Mosites about it. You saw on the GH threads you pointed out earlier many people were being turned down by the Seadoo warranty for the collapsed tunnels, even a few with NO mods on their skis, bone stock.

I did end up seeing some guys claim Seadoo did cover the costs, perhaps that was after they realized it was a problem and their fault.

Good points.

5 year warranty should keep you from dealing with expensive parts/engine repairs for awhile. Question though, who is that warranty through? And does it cover EVERYTHING? I assume you were talking to Mosites about it. You saw on the GH threads you pointed out earlier many people were being turned down by the Seadoo warranty for the collapsed tunnels, even a few with NO mods on their skis, bone stock.

I did end up seeing some guys claim Seadoo did cover the costs, perhaps that was after they realized it was a problem and their fault.

I was talking to Mosites yes... I'm waiting for the guy (Les) to get back to me about the possible trade-in value of my Yamahas. When he calls again, I'm going to ask more about the warranty. I know that its through Bombardier, and it seems to cover a lot - http://en-us.sea-doo.com/owner-center/extended-service.aspx

I am going to dig through some threads on here and GH about warranty claims to see just how good it REALLY is though. That's a good point about the tunnel cracking... it seems to vary dealer to dealer on how they want to read into the BRP warranty

Get a '10 or '11 ... REALLY!

No tunnel issues on the S3 Hull. The 2010 RXT-X is a great boat! It has the updated washer and oiling system, no hull issues, and a ton of power-just went for a ride yesterday. ... 67 mph into a 30 mph wind ... looks like I got burnt to a crisp by the sun (Cloudy early April Day in Northern Ohio.) Out of all of the new features, the one I like best is the fly-by-wire for reverse. I spent the day jumping around from marina to marina on both my '08 and '10 manuvering in and out of tight places. Just tapping the break lever once to put in neutral and once more for reverse, slight tap again on the throttle to throw it in forward, back and forth between the two making docking anti-climatic, smooth, and a piece of cake on the '10. If you've ever watched an experience captain dock a larger boat with twin screws ... you'll feel like you can spin the boat and put it anywhere.

As far as warranties go, I believe there are two diferent levels of warranties, the "BEST" and the "BEST PLUS". The "BEST PLUS" is supposed to cover scheduled maintance too? Check with your dealer and make sure you both agree on what the scheduled maintance is ... ie supercharger rebuilds. Did I mention how hard the 2010 kicks a...? Don't be discouraged ... you buy any "hot-rod" and it will cost a little more over the long run. Owning a Chevy Chevette doesn't cost much from what I've heard!:driving:

Attachments

• 1366.jpg
    1366.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 6
  • RXTX260_20_wallpaper.jpg
    RXTX260_20_wallpaper.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 8
Ok I own a 2010 rxtx I was at my dealer and asked about new one and they said pretty much the same but all 2011 use suspension hull. Other than that they left much the same. The owners son said he is searching for a new 2010 for himself because the 2011 is heavier because of suspension. Better comfort
but heavier. Also to get to engine to do anyreal work must lift off top half such willcost u more for service later. I said enough said find mea 2010 as well. I have 4 why not five.

Ok I own a 2010 rxtx I was at my dealer and asked about new one and they said pretty much the same but all 2011 use suspension hull. Other than that they left much the same. The owners son said he is searching for a new 2010 for himself because the 2011 is heavier because of suspension. Better comfort
but heavier. Also to get to engine to do anyreal work must lift off top half such willcost u more for service later. I said enough said find mea 2010 as well. I have 4 why not five.

The 2011 RXT-X aS 260 and RXT-X iS 260 have suspension systems.... the 2011 RXT-X 260 does NOT. So it would be identical to yours, from what we can tell.

I have no idea why a dealer would say they all use suspension... that's flat out wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back