2010 RXT 215 high volts, low volts and a fried voltage regulator

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Sunday I took the ski out after not getting to ride for a few weeks. On the first run of the morning I opened up the throttle and at about 5000+ rpm I got a high volt alarm. I released the throttle, the alert went away and I couldn't duplicate it all day. No more issues.

Fast forward to this past Sunday; same problem. First run opened throttle up coming out of no wake zone and high volts. Released throttle, alert cleared and no further issues until the end of the day. Probably only ran a total of 1.5 hrs but with many restarts. At the boat ramp waiting for the trailer (idling) I got a low volts alert, check engine and code P0562 (battery low volts). The engine continued to idle fine for a long while, and even restarted a couple of times without any indication of a true low battery.

Took the battery out yesterday and found the voltage regulator had melted through the plastic mount and was resting on its own wire harness. All fuses look fine and I do not suspect the one year old AGM battery that is always left on a tender when not running. With the damage to the voltage regulator it's very clear that it needs to be replaced, but as far as troubleshooting goes is there anything else that I should look at? Can a bad voltage regulator just overheat on its own?

I tested all three poles from stator, good resistance, no shorts. Ran the ski up to see what voltage is coming directly from the stator. At idle it shows 22 VAC (~1800 rpm). At 6k rpm I was seeing 70+ VAC. is this a normal voltage coming from the stator? Not sure what I'm looking for here.

regulator.jpg regulator mount.jpg burned wire harness.jpg

Does anyone know what the specs on the stator voltage are? The shop manual says 360W at 6k rpm, but this doesn't help because any number of volt/amps combinations could produce that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back