2009 RXT 255 iS IBR failure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mahdian

Hi,
I have 2 problem in my seadoo pwc. After checking fault codes, i found 2 active error that mentoid ibr fault. C2113 and P1661

My pwcs locked in "Reverse" or "Docking Mode" after this problem.
After some researches, nothing found to manualy repair the IBR.

Is there any way to disable or deactivating ibr control and mechamism?!

Thanks you...

For a temporary solution. I would unplug the controls to eliminate power going to the bucket. I would assume you can power the bucket motor via separate wires to electronically raise it.

This will buy you time to allow for the proper repair.

When i disconnet the control or power wires, the problem still exist. In this situation even if reverse gate removed, engine rpm limited on 5000 and pwc not accelerated as forward "f" mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can use the manual power override to raise or lower the bucket. check manual for instructions.

you can use the manual power override to raise or lower the bucket. check manual for instructions.

Hi SkiDoo,

Could you please inform which manual I can find this information?
Or how can I "suspend" the iBR and avoid it until I find the issue?

My Ski 2009 GTX Limited 255

Thanks

It's in the service manual, 2009 GTX LTD iS 255. You can't "suspend" the iBR and ride the ski. Manual override is just for working on it while the engine is not running. You need to fix the problem. It's not an overly complicated system. Here's the manual override from the manual.

1. Press the START/STOP button.
2. Install the D.E.S.S. key.

NOTE: Do not start the engine. The D.E.S.S. key
must be installed to ensure the information center
will not shut off all indications after its self test
function. Electrical power will stay ON for approximately
3 minutes.
3. Press the Mode button on the RH handlebar repeatedly
until SETTINGS is visible in the digital
display of the information center.
4. Press the SET button (RH handlebar) to display
DOCK MODE.
5. Press the UP/DOWN arrow button to display
iBR OVR.
6. Press the SET button to enter iBR OVR function
and display OVR OFF.
7. Press the UP/DOWN arrow button (RH handlebar)
to display OVR ON.
8. Press the SET button to select the OVR ON
function. The gauge will return to its normal display.
9. Press the VTS UP or DOWN arrow button to
move the iBR gate.
Deactivating iBR Override Function
To deactivate the iBR override function, carry out
one of the following:
1. Repeat previous steps and press the SET button
when OVR OFF is visible.
2. Wait for the electrical power to shut off (wait 4
minutes).
3. Start the engine.
NOTE: When the engine is started, the iBR OVR
function is deactivated and the iBR gate will move
to the neutral position.

Sorry to ask, but do you have this manual? I downloaded 2008 and 2009 from seadoo.net, but both does not have anything about iBR. thanks

It's in the service manual, 2009 GTX LTD iS 255. You can't "suspend" the iBR and ride the ski. Manual override is just for working on it while the engine is not running. You need to fix the problem. It's not an overly complicated system. Here's the manual override from the manual.

1. Press the START/STOP button.
2. Install the D.E.S.S. key.

NOTE: Do not start the engine. The D.E.S.S. key
must be installed to ensure the information center
will not shut off all indications after its self test
function. Electrical power will stay ON for approximately
3 minutes.
3. Press the Mode button on the RH handlebar repeatedly
until SETTINGS is visible in the digital
display of the information center.
4. Press the SET button (RH handlebar) to display
DOCK MODE.
5. Press the UP/DOWN arrow button to display
iBR OVR.
6. Press the SET button to enter iBR OVR function
and display OVR OFF.
7. Press the UP/DOWN arrow button (RH handlebar)
to display OVR ON.
8. Press the SET button to select the OVR ON
function. The gauge will return to its normal display.
9. Press the VTS UP or DOWN arrow button to
move the iBR gate.
Deactivating iBR Override Function
To deactivate the iBR override function, carry out
one of the following:
1. Repeat previous steps and press the SET button
when OVR OFF is visible.
2. Wait for the electrical power to shut off (wait 4
minutes).
3. Start the engine.
NOTE: When the engine is started, the iBR OVR
function is deactivated and the iBR gate will move
to the neutral position.

thanks for send the procedure.

it did not work in my case. I belive the iBR motor is broken.

1200USD a new one, unfortunately.

Reactions: RJN
Not necessarily, the motors are very reliable. It is usually other issues that cause it not to run. Have you checked for voltage at the motor? Have you checked your fuses? What fault codes are you getting?

Yes, I have the manual and I can give it to you but it is 53mB so please provide a location for me to upload.

- I checked all fuses: Good, including the 30A to the iBR.
- When I unplug the 30A fuse, errors code increases a lot, which probably means there is voltage there.
- After clean them all, I always get these 3 codes:

P1661 -> Bilge Pump Shorted to 12v or iBR fault detected by ECM
C0073 - iBR - Torque request failure
C2131 - iBR - iBR DC motor shorted to ground or 12v

I don´t have the manual yet, so I don´t know how to test 12V there... I did not to not make any mistake there.

Please send the manual via FTP, I will send the host, username and password to you via PM, is that ok?

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
It's there on your FTP site. Your Welcome:thumbsup:

Thanks Ski-doo, I´ve downloaded and worked on ski on the weekend.

All fuses good, wires good, tested according to the manual.

I´ve removed the iBR actuator today. Before that, I´ve found it works some times when you "shake" the iBR actuator. There is a problem in that integrated module... the engine it self is fine, but it is all integrated and probably we will gona have to buy a new one iBR actuator unit.

Interesting that it has water inside the modules for share. I can listen that when shaking the actuator out side the hull. Probably there are parts oxided inside. If I find someone here to open it and revise it, there is a change to recovery it.... who knows.

Anyway, I only could find a new one on ebay, but for 2011-2014 models... Mine (gtx 2009 limited is) has an iBR actuator which looks pretty the same, but there is a small difference on the drive which goes to outside of the hull.
Anyone knows what is the correct PN for that part? Where can I buy it?

Thanks,
Bruno

It runs water through the actuator housing for cooling. There is no electronics exposed to water so you should not have corrosion. You have nothing to lose by taking it apart if you are sure that is the problem.

The original part number is 278002321. The correct current part number is 278002846 for $985. However, this is the newer system and yes the drive is different. I recall a seadoo bulletin on this but I'll have to check where the drive system went from a square drive to the mating triangle ridges plates which is much easier to remove. As I recall, the 2009 and 2010 iBR actuators were retrofitted using the newer 2011 and up style but you'll also the newer bracket and hardware. I'll check on this and see if I can get you a better price but give me a couple days.

It runs water through the actuator housing for cooling. There is no electronics exposed to water so you should not have corrosion. You have nothing to lose by taking it apart if you are sure that is the problem.

The original part number is 278002321. The correct current part number is 278002846 for $985. However, this is the newer system and yes the drive is different. I recall a seadoo bulletin on this but I'll have to check where the drive system went from a square drive to the mating triangle ridges plates which is much easier to remove. As I recall, the 2009 and 2010 iBR actuators were retrofitted using the newer 2011 and up style but you'll also the newer bracket and hardware. I'll check on this and see if I can get you a better price but give me a couple days.

Thanks Ski-doo, please check it for me.

Glad to hear it should has water inside. Better chances do recover it.

A local dealer told me exactly what you said. I should buy the new one with different drive and buy also a "kit retrofitted".
I imagined it will come with a different lock (piece of plastic) which locks the drive to the hardware outside... The dealer did not explained what is the "kit".

If you find something and even a better price, please let me know.

Until that, I will "open the box" and try to fix this one.

Thanks

Below is the list of parts that is needed for this conversion(qty,p/n, description). I gave you a price that is more than a 15% discount off retail in the pm I sent you.

1.00 278003042 ACTUATEUR IBR *IBR ACTUATOR

4.00 293900007 DOUILLE VENTURI*BUSHING-VENTUR

2.00 268000182 ENTRETOISE *SPACER

1.00 268000152 BRAS EN ""U"" *""U"" ARM

1.00 268000067 PLAQUE SUPPORT *SUPPORT PLATE

1.00 267000474 PLAQUE RACCORD *FITTING PLATE

10.00 234081600 WASHER-FLAT DIN.125A-A2

10.00 207382060 SCREW-HEX.CAP DIN.933A2 S.GRIP

Hi Ski-D00,

Thanks for the part list which are substitutes in this case.
Also useful for any rider with similar problems (which I´m sure, it will happen soon on these iBR skis).

I will validate costs, shipping and customs, and I will get in touch soon about it.

Regards,

Hi Ski-D00 and Folks,

I removed the iBR in two weeks ago and tried to repair it.

The motor it self it´s in a very good condition and it´s working. The problem is on the electrical circuit, there was a lot of humidity there, but the problem persists. If the manuctafturer would sell only the electrical circuit, that would solve my problem.
image1.JPG
I reassebly it all and it works for 30 minutes... then the error came back again. So I will replace all the assembly, but I believe it´s a waste, since most part of the assembly is running very good!

Another problem I see is:

THe new part does not come (in the picture I saw) with the Water Temperarture sensor.... How should I deal with that?

WIth Water Temp Sensor, OEM from the Ski:
image3.jpg

The New one (I did not find the water temp and those 3 hose connections):
ibr2.JPG

Also the new part has a different drive, and I will have to build a different lock to fit in the external iBR assembly (or to replace all parts informe above by Ski-D00).
This is the original one (GTX SC 2009 iBR):
image2.jpg

This is the new one, check the different drive (but this was expected and explained by SKI-D00 on this topic)
ibrorig1.JPG

Thanks,
Bruno

I believe I found the answer about the water temp sensor:

I was looking for a picture of an iBR motor from 2014 skis... Maybe this year does not use that sensor.
It has a different code..

iBR actuator for 2014 skis: 278003056

Mine (as informed by Skid00): 278003042

38603_31s1001.gif

You are correct. The p/n I gave you will include the water connector.

This is typical of SeaDoo, they make a very expensive assemblies that they don't offer as separate parts even though it would be simple to do and save people a lot of money. The motors are very reliable as I stated before, everything else, not so much. The good news is that the retrofit assembly is proving to be much more reliable. They definitely made changes to it internally.

You are correct. The p/n I gave you will include the water connector.

This is typical of SeaDoo, they make a very expensive assemblies that they don't offer as separate parts even though it would be simple to do and save people a lot of money. The motors are very reliable as I stated before, everything else, not so much. The good news is that the retrofit assembly is proving to be much more reliable. They definitely made changes to it internally.

SkiDoo and Folks, do you know a way to avoid the iBR?

Until we solve the problem?

I believe I would have to change the software in ECU, am I right? Do you know anyone whi does this? If yes, how and how much?

THanks,
Bruno

You are correct, ECU controls it along with the engine. In theory, you could buy a 2008 ECU, LCD, gauge, wiring harnesses, throttle switch, etc. and swap them into it and it would work. You would have no reverse and you would spend more than a new iBR unit. I think Riva remaps the ECU to eliminate the iBR for racers but it won't be cheap either. I think it's around $800 to remap the ECU. I'd say you're better off getting a new iBR.

Hi ski-d00,
I believe I am experiencing this problem with my 2009 GTX Limited iS 255. Just bought it in April and things were good for a couple months. Have not removed the unit yet, but cannot get it to operate in override mode. The bucket is stuck in the down position, and the iBR light is on. Have not figured out how to get it to Fault Code mode, so none are available. Any ideas on how to verify that the module is indeed shot? May like to get my hands on that manual you sent to brobertov8. The fuses are good but I have not yet checked for voltage at the motor.

Also, my VTS buttons on the left side do not work, but I can change the VTS via the up-down button. Would that be a reason the override is not working? Different issue, I understand, but the manual says that once I turn iBR override "on", I need to use the VTS buttons to raise and lower.

Thanks for your assistance!

I had an IBR issue earlier this year. Bought the Candoo Pro so that I could diagnose it. Once it arrived, I plugged in and found several codes, all but a few came back to the IBR Module and low voltage issues.

Cleared the codes and charged the battery. Went for a ride. All was good for about 15 minutes. Same issue. Went home, cleared the codes and swapped the battery from my other ski. Problem solved.

Bought a new battery, installed it, problem is gone.

So, if you have a spare battery, give it try.

I "think", you can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery and holding the battery wires against themselves for 30 seconds or longer. I have read that this will discharge the capaciter for the memory. If so, clearing the codes will help you start anew with a good known battery.

See attached IBR testing procedures for 2009 models.

If you supply a secure and private location for your own personal use only, like a personal FTP site, I will upload the manual for you.

No need to try and clear codes. Once the problem is corrected, the code will go from active to inactive.

Attachments

• Procedures - iBR testing.doc
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Thanks ski-d00! Didn't realize you posted this today. Just sent you a PM, which you can disregard. Will study this and see what I can figure out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back