2009 rxt 215 won't start!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenfoxjr

Dewinterized pac and all I get is a single click when I hit the power button. Replaced both the battery since it was two years old and solenoid. Still just one click. Every so often I will get a click and some engine turnover, but will still not start. Only has 20 hours so I am baffled as to what could be problem. Would much appreciate any guidance...

With the lanyard on the DESS post, see what happens when you arc over the starter relay terminals with a screwdriver. There will be some sparks but that is to be expected... does the starter engage though?

Also you may have some corrosion that developed over winter storage, check the front of the engine where several wires bolt directly to the engine block for ground... remove and clean them if needed. Sounds like you're not getting good power to the electrical system though.

- Michael

Thanks. We already replaced starter relay and it is not the problem. Also, no rust or corrosion evident. Really baffling since it was working fine before winterization and only has 20 hours. Every 20 or so clicks it sounds like it is trys briefly to turn over but to no avail. Looks like I will need to get it towed to shop unless anyone else has any other insights...

Ok you didn't answer my question though.... With the lanyard on the DESS post, see what happens when you arc over the starter relay terminals with a screwdriver. Does the starter engage?

If it does engage the starter then we can conclude that the starter relay has failed already (not impossible mind you!). If it doesn't engage the starter then either the battery isn't putting out full voltage/amps (also not impossible) or there's a corrosion problem in a terminal somewhere... unbolt your cables from the battery and clean them, unbolt the ground terminals from the front of the engine and clean them (fun fun, yeah I know!). You may not be able to see the corrosion under the terminal and bolt!

And when did you replace the battery and starter relay exactly? Starter relays have been known to go bad VERY quickly sometimes. The click when you press the Start button has only 2 possible causes I know of: either the starter relay isn't working right anymore or you have a power problem (probable corrosion developed under some terminal(s) over the winter months.... every pretty day during the winter the seat needs to be removed for a few hours to let it air-out, or put a damp-rid package inside your hull to absorb moisture or do both).

- Michael

Did all these things to no avail. Gave up and sent it in to shop. Diagnosis is a faulty fuel line that needs to be replaced. Shop indicated that this was likely due to old fuel. Given that this was winterized, should this have happened? I would have thought that a proper winterization would have prevented this from occurring. If not, what can I do in the future to prevent a recurrence? Thanks. This is an expensive fix for a jet ski with 20 hours!!!

A faulty fuel line wouldn't explain the relay clicking but not turning the engine over.

You say it was winterized, but did that include treating the fuel in the tank and lines? Stabil or Seafoam or some sort of fuel stabalizer should be added to the tank and then the engine run for a few minutes so that the treated fuel can make it's way thru the fuel system.

- Michael

Per shop, clicking was due to fuel clogging one of spark plug hole areas. Once they blew this out, the engine turned but still would not start. They attributed this to faulty fuel line. They noted the fuel looked very brown and gunky. I had the winterization peformed by a marine shop. Shouldn't they have treated the fuel with stabilizer as part of the winerization? Bottom line, can I make a claim to the shop that they did not do a proper winterization?

Len

Ahhh! So the fuel itself was gelled and locking up a piston so that the starter could not turn the engine over? That sounds feasable I suppose. Sounds like some pretty aweful fuel to me to be that darned bad.

Do you still have your receipt from last Fall from the other shop? Does it not have details about what they did when they winterized it? You could also call that other shop and just ask what they're winterization service includes... no need to tell them who you are or why you're asking or anything! Just call and nicely inquire... don't lead them, just see what they say and then ask questions if they don't mention the fuel system. I'd think adding stabalizer to the fuel would be a given, but that's just my opinion and every shop probably does it their own way.

May I suggest next Fall that you do the winterization yourself? You'll be much more motivated to do it right, and it's not all that hard to fill the exhaust cooling lines with antifreeze and fog the engine .... takes maybe 30 minutes or less.

Bottom line is you can take the other shop to court, but they'll come into the coutroom and pronounce themselves experts and unless you have your own qualified experts to repudiate them you'll be up a creek with no paddle. Been there, done that, it was VERY aggravating. :-(

- Michael

I am a newbie (2nd post), so I apologize for injecting any comments to you expert guys. But that does sound really wierd, but interesting ! I have the exact same problem w/ the clicking, but my ski has been on the lake 3 times since I bought it, ran through 2 tanks of gas and now it is doing the clicking deal. First time after I bought it I could not get it to start (just clicked) so I thought it was a battery. Replaced the battery, same problem. But second time I did manage to get it to start and it ran fine. Third time out, it started at the shed, but on the boat ramp would not start. Battery brand new - 12-13 volts. Replaced the solenoid - same problem. Perhaps the corrosion ???

You replaced the starter relay, and still have the same clicking problem?

When you started it at the shed was it a dry start or did you have a waterhose hooked to it for cooling the exhaust system? Can you sipon a little gas out of the tank into a styrofoam cup and check it?

The click is the sound of the starter relay engaging... when it clicks, it makes contact internally between the 2 poles to which the battery cables (from battery and to starter) are connected. If it clicks bit the starter does not turn the engine over, either the starter isn't receiving power (or enough power) to turn the engine over, or the starter itself may be bad, OR the engine is locked up and cannot be turned over.

If you accidentally got water into the cylinders from the exhaust cooling system, that water would not compress and the engine would be unable to be turned over until the water seeped out of the cyclinder(s) thru the rings and into the crankcase. This happens when someone tries starting the engine on a trailer or in a lift, and turns the water on going to the cooling system BEFORE trying to start the engine... water fills up the exhaust manifold in just a few seconds, then starts pouring into whichever cyclinder has an open exhaust valve. If you let it set for a bit, the water will drain out and into the crankcase.

If you're not getting full power to the starter, either the starter relay is bad or the battery is bad (has volts but no amps) or there is corrosion in one of the main power cables (to the battery terminals, the starter relay, or even possibly the ground connectection on the front of the engine). Check all connections for corrosion (white powder) and clean.

Lastly, it is not impossible that your starter has a dead spot. I've had automotive starters develop dead spots, and it's frustrating as heck! If all else fails then it is probably time to try a new starter itself. Given the cost and trouble of this, I'd make this the last thing on the list of things to try though.

Regards and never fear piping in with your comments or ideas... everyone was a newbie once. :)

- Michael

Tried it

With the lanyard on the DESS post, see what happens when you arc over the starter relay terminals with a screwdriver. There will be some sparks but that is to be expected... does the starter engage though?

Also you may have some corrosion that developed over winter storage, check the front of the engine where several wires bolt directly to the engine block for ground... remove and clean them if needed. Sounds like you're not getting good power to the electrical system though.

- Michael

I recently put a new battery on my 2008 GTX LTD and took it to the lake. It started with no problems or hesitation. It sat in the garage for a week then I took it back out to the lake and it would not start I only got the one click thing.
I put the Lanyard on the dess post and arced over the starter relays got the sparks but the starter did not engage. Pulled the ground wires off and cleaned a tiny amount of corrosion. I took the battery in and had it tested and it tested good. Any other Ideas? Thanx

I recently put a new battery on my 2008 GTX LTD and took it to the lake. It started with no problems or hesitation. It sat in the garage for a week then I took it back out to the lake and it would not start I only got the one click thing.
I put the Lanyard on the dess post and arced over the starter relays got the sparks but the starter did not engage. Pulled the ground wires off and cleaned a tiny amount of corrosion. I took the battery in and had it tested and it tested good. Any other Ideas? Thanx

Pull your spark plugs out and try it again... either your starter has gone bad, or the engine is locked up (possibly water or gelled fuel as per earlier poster... any liquid in the cylinders will prevent the piston from going to top of stroke, it only takes a little to hydrolock an engine). If the starter still won't turn the engine over without the plugs in, then something's wrong with the starter I'd say.

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back