2008 speedster trunk faulty or poor design?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

beach dog

i just purchased a brand new 2008 speedster 150, 215 hp.
i just noticed that the engine trunk compartment does not seal there is a 3/4 gap between the hull and trunk.so if you get water in this area it goes right down on top of the motor and the super charger air filter.
i contacted my dealer and they said all the speedster's are like this.
does anybody elese have this problem?
the boat takes on a bit of water to.is this normal?
i was expecting being brand new that there would be a little dribble of water.
after a couple hours of use there is about a gallon of water in the hull.
any info on this would be apreciated.
thanks

That is the first time I have heard of this problem. I have an 08 150 speedster sitting in my yard. It belongs to a friend of mine and it doesn't have that gap. I would have the dealer look a bit closer and get it taken care of. It might need a hinge adjustment. The 08 NEVER has any water in the hull after having fun on the water...it stays bone dry.

Karl

i have a 150 and dont have that problem, only time i get water in it is when its raining out or take a wave over the front.

Water in bay?

beachdog
are you talking about the gap between the between the trunk lid and the hull/swim platform ?
If this is it, then when you open the trunk lid you will notice that there is two type air ducts on each side... one is for air/vent (engine heat) circulation and the other is for the fan that circulates the air.
I too have a red 08 150 and rarely is there water in the engine bay.
Two posible explinations come to mind..
1- you must do alot of water splashing manuvers and the water wakes are getting in there! (I notice your in beautiful baja) so you must be riding in the gulf or ocean (large wakes) or
2- make sure the drain plugs are on and tight

peace out
chico1

i attached some photos.of the trunk gap between the trunk and hull,also the trunk lid does not line up.
i have been mostly wakeboarding with the boat in flat condtions.i have not taken a wave or water over the trunk yet.there is water coming in somewhere elese.
can water come threw the bilge outake?

Attachments

• DSC07020.jpg
    DSC07020.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC07024.jpg
    DSC07024.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 47
You need to adjust the hinges on the back of the Lid. Just for giggles pop off the gas props to be sure you have the correct ones in place. Then close it. There is a clip that keeps it in place. be careful, as it's heavy with them off. See if it closes tighter. If it's the same adjust the rear hinges... There should be NO gap like that on the sides.

Karl

i tried every possible postion with the hinges and as well i took the gas shocks off, still not sealing.
how thick is the seal on the trunk?
is there suposed to be a seal on the hull?
i am thinking maybe they put the wrong seal or they forgot one.

When its closed is the top of the trunk level with the top of the seats, Not the actual seats but level with the fiberglass part???

Try this, unhook the gas props, unscrew the hinges and with a helper from each side, SET the hatch on the doo. See if the hatch fits any better. It might be the hinges are installed improperly. The gasket that seals the hatch look like it should from your pictures. It definitely shouldn't fit that poorly. If you have a warranty, I would have the dealer make it right, rather than fooling with it.

Karl

i took the gas shocks off and the hinges and set it down it seals 95% there is one tiny little space at the top port side,that i could probably live with.i looked at the hinges it does not look like you could install these the wrong way,other than the ajustment.is there a top and a bottom with the hinges?i would take it to my dealer but i am in baja for a couple more weeks and would like to use the boat while i am here.

yes there is a top and bottom with the hinges..

005-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

008.jpg

though are just shims.... can you post pics of your hinges cause i think that is where you problem lies if the lid is to low at the front

i messed with every configuration shims no shims i put the hinges in every position possible,there is no way it is going to seal.
i am looking to modify by putting a larger seal is my only solution.
i contacted my dealer and he says 90% of the boats are like this.and they are not willing to help me out on this.
i think the seadoo manufactor should be aware of this.does anybody know how to contact seadoo?it has concluded to me this is a poor design and defective they need to tweak there molds.
this makes me angry as i bought something brand new and does not work properlly, who wants water going onto there motor and supercharger air filter?

Dont accept this

Beach dog,

Don't accept this! Call BRP customer help line but be prepared for a cluster of a time getting BRP's attention. Several of us are in the process of getting our boat issues resolved. I bought my boat back in January and I still am missing an under seat storage bin. BRP is a mess.

Craig

i messed with every configuration shims no shims i put the hinges in every position possible,there is no way it is going to seal.
i am looking to modify by putting a larger seal is my only solution.
i contacted my dealer and he says 90% of the boats are like this.and they are not willing to help me out on this.
i think the seadoo manufactor should be aware of this.does anybody know how to contact seadoo?it has concluded to me this is a poor design and defective they need to tweak there molds.
this makes me angry as i bought something brand new and does not work properlly, who wants water going onto there motor and supercharger air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back