2008 Speedster 215 - Will not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matttbyrne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi everyone,
I have a 2008 Speedster 215 and it will not start.
Have been troubleshooting this for a while (too busy with other things), and with a cold blast coming this weekend, I finally need to get this engine running so that I can winterize it.
So, here is the history:
1) I ran the boat many times with no problem at beginning of season while parked in the driveway and hooked up to a garden hose.
2) Took boat out for maiden voyage (of season), got a little bit from the dock and she started to sputter. I was just idling out. Played with throttle enough to keep her from stalling and get her back to the dock before she stalled.
3) She ran a few times at home in the driveway, but usually only for ten seconds or so.
4) She will not run now.
5) I tested all plugs. All will spark briefly while attempting to start engine.
6) I tested all injectors. All will pump tons of fuel into a jar.
7) Air intake seems to be unblocked.
8) I just bought the CanDoo and saw error codes as follows:
P1544: Exhaust Temp too high or Pipe Preheat Switch (Functional Problem)
P0351: Ignition coil #1 open circuit or shorted to ground or to 12V
P0352: Ignition coil #2 open circuit or shorted to ground or to 12V
P0353: Ignition coil #3 open circuit or shorted to ground or to 12V
P0505: DLA output stage cutoff memory circuit or output stage fault or open circuit or short to 12V
9) I cleared the codes, and none come back when trying to start. I suspect that the last four codes are due to prior trouble shooting. Maybe the first code is from a time when I didn't turn on garden hose fast enough?

I am going to replace all plugs (even though they spark) and fuel (I am going to use CanDoo to have fuel pump drain tank) tomorrow and see if that helps. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Matt

Hmm. Replacing plugs is a good start as these motors are very picky with plugs. Your codes are showing that you're having some sort of ignition issue, but you said you confirmed spark. Have you tried squirting fuel directly into the throttle body while cranking? How did you test the coils?

Replace the fuel and the plugs, and the beast started right up. Was ready for a war, and only turned at to be a minor skirmish.

Sea Doo's love their spark plugs.... I learned that years ago and always keep a full set on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back